[SOLVED] mouse start and stops

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
my mouse goes thru spells of stopping and starting such that at times I cannot get it positioned over a check box because it is jumping so bad.
Sometimes it works normally.
Win10 Pro 1909 18363.592
Logitech MX Master 2S
It is fully charged and connected to the charger, or not. It is using the adapter not BT.
Wood desk, desktop, adapter plugged into front port.
It does it regardless of what I have open or not.
I cleared everything in my task window, shut off AV. Still did it with nothing optional running.
Now it has abruptly stopped doing that and is working fine. I found nothing that stopped it when shut down.
It does it with Windows Defender or Bitdefender free.
When I move the mouse around on the desktop, Explorer.exe CPU usage goes from about 0.8 to 3.5 max. whether is acting up or not.
Nothing else is showing much more than that usage. If it is running smooth and Firefox or Chrome is open their CPU useage is 10-20%.

What am I looking for to stop this?

Solution
can't say for certain which, if any, of these will work, assuming you've already tried a driver reinstall:

1) Edit the power plan. Go to "Change advanced power settings">"USB settings">"USB selective suspend setting" then Disable.

2) Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager>USB controllers>[multiple devices]. If you don't know which one is the mouse then you'd need to uncheck the setting in all of them.

3) Settings>Gaming>Game Bar - turn it off, assuming you don't use it. Seems to be a common issue with your mouse and Game Bar

There's also a known issue with the Logitech Unifying Receiver getting interference from the USB port/PC when plugged directly into the USB port, with the...

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
can't say for certain which, if any, of these will work, assuming you've already tried a driver reinstall:

1) Edit the power plan. Go to "Change advanced power settings">"USB settings">"USB selective suspend setting" then Disable.

2) Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager>USB controllers>[multiple devices]. If you don't know which one is the mouse then you'd need to uncheck the setting in all of them.

3) Settings>Gaming>Game Bar - turn it off, assuming you don't use it. Seems to be a common issue with your mouse and Game Bar

There's also a known issue with the Logitech Unifying Receiver getting interference from the USB port/PC when plugged directly into the USB port, with the solution being to put it on an extender dongle.

Solution

ruggb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

There's also a known issue with the Logitech Unifying Receiver getting interference from the USB port/PC when plugged directly into the USB port, with the solution being to put it on an extender dongle.
FYI - it appears it was a USB device that is causing the interruption. It occurred again when I connected a USB drive.