Question Mouse Wakeup of screen

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

My display goes to sleep after 10 minutes. But the problem is that even a sub-pixel movement of the mouse wakes the screen up. Me walking across the room or a loud car driving by my building is enough to move the mouse to wake up the screen, so it never stays off when it's supposed to.

I should note this is just a screen shutoff, not actual computer sleep (I'm running a plex server so it should never actually sleep).

I'm coming from a Mac, where this is not a problem, when the screen is asleep the threshold of mouse movement to wake it up is higher.

Is there a way to set that threshold for the mouse to wake up the screen? I've even tried turning the cursor speed all the way to the slowest as a test and it makes no difference.

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can disable it completely, there isn't a way to make it more resistant to movements

open settings/devices/mouse
in right column, under Related settings. click Additional mouse options
Click hardware tab
Select the mouse you want to control from the list and then click the “Properties” button. You’ll see more than one mouse listed on some systems–say, a laptop that has a touchpad and an external mouse–so make sure you select the one you want to disable waking up for.
click properties
click Change settings button and agree to the UAC pop up window to give permission
Choose power management tab
untick “Allow this device to wake the computer” option.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15132/stop-your-mouse-from-waking-up-your-windows-7-computer/

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Just use the monitor's power button to turn screen on/off at your convenience. That way, nothing will make it come on except pushing it's power button.
That's what I do, It's not rocket science.

I watch movies when I fall asleep and rely on the monitor turning off by itself when they're over. I don't want to have to get out of bed to turn off the monitor. This was never a problem on a Mac, it's a Windows issue.