Mouses suddenly stopped working

Feb 18, 2018
Hello!

I have an Asus laptop and the other day, after restarting my computer, and without any kind of notice, my wired mouse stopped working. I have tried a couple other mouses and none of them work in my laptop, but they do in other computers. I have also tried plugging a USB memory and it works flawlessly, so I'm guessing the issue is on the way my computer deals with mouses specifically. Thankfully I can still use my touchpad.

I have tried doing a system restore and it doesnt work, it shows the following error:
"System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.
Details:
System restore failed to extraxt the file (c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\x64\aswCmnBS.dll) from the restore point. An unespecified error occured during System restore. (0x80070017)"

To make it all more complicated, when I went into advanced restart to run the System restore, the mouse worked again, but it doesn't in normal or safe modes.

I would be very thankflul if anyone knows a solution to this problem, preferably one not so drastic as reinstalling windows all over again.

Thank you very much!

Solution
One thing you can try is to get a bootable linux USB like ubuntu 17.10.1 desktop and run it in live mode, if it is a windows problem the mouse will probably work under linux just fine.

To resolve the windows problem, double check all your mouse and touchpad settings, windows updates sometimes change settings that are not expected.
See if removing the device in device manager and reinstall will resolve. Or head over to the Asus website and download all the software for the touchpad and reinstall, or see if there are any firmware updates which may solve problems with windows updates.

good luck!
One thing you can try is to get a bootable linux USB like ubuntu 17.10.1 desktop and run it in live mode, if it is a windows problem the mouse will probably work under linux just fine.

To resolve the windows problem, double check all your mouse and touchpad settings, windows updates sometimes change settings that are not expected.
See if removing the device in device manager and reinstall will resolve. Or head over to the Asus website and download all the software for the touchpad and reinstall, or see if there are any firmware updates which may solve problems with windows updates.

good luck!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS