Question Move all files (aside from OS) from old SSD to new SSD

Apr 24, 2023
I am planning on adding some more storage to my PC. I currently have an NVME M.2 SSD and want to keep that for OS and games I play frequently. I will add a second SSD for everything else. What is the best way to move all my other files to my new drive?

"All my other files"..............

Does that means only personal data files like pictures, documents, video clips, mp3 music, etc??

Or does that include some installed programs?

Do all of these "all my other files" exist somewhere within C:\Users\your user name?

Apr 24, 2023
"All my other files"..............

Does that means only personal data files like pictures, documents, video clips, mp3 music, etc??

Or does that include some installed programs?

Do all of these "all my other files" exist somewhere within C:\Users\your user name?

Ideally I would like my M.2 to be only used to boot my PC and have Steam with a few games data there. Everything else ( documents, apps, pics) on my new SSD.

Apr 24, 2023
You are likely to have issues trying to keep Windows on one drive and "apps" on another.

I see. How would you approach this then? All I want is to free up space on my M.2 and keep my boot time as fast as possible.

What is the total capacity of the original drive?

What is the total occupied space on the original drive?

What is the total capacity of the new drive?

Is the new drive NVMe, M.2 SATA, or 2.5 inch SATA?

Apr 24, 2023
What is the total capacity of the original drive?

What is the total occupied space on the original drive?

What is the total capacity of the new drive?

Is the new drive NVMe, M.2 SATA, or 2.5 inch SATA?

Original drive is 1TB which is just about full.

New drive is going to be a 2TB 2.5 SATA

I assume you want to leave Windows where it is now.

I'd install the new drive, format it with a single partition, perhaps with the D drive letter.

Manually move whatever personal data to the new drive in a folder structure of your choice. Like D:\pictures, D:\mp3, D:\video, etc.

If you make a new file tomorrow named pork chop recipe.doc, save it directly to D.

All installed applications remain behind on the original drive.

That's what I'd do in your situation.

Reactions: Czar1453
Apr 24, 2023
I assume you want to leave Windows where it is now.

I'd install the new drive, format it with a single partition, perhaps with the D drive letter.

Manually move whatever personal data to the new drive in a folder structure of your choice. Like D:\pictures, D:\mp3, D:\video, etc.

If you make a new file tomorrow named pork chop recipe.doc, save it directly to D.

All installed applications remain behind on the original drive.

That's what I'd do in your situation.

Will do thank you