[SOLVED] Move data folders to separate drive

mkstretch

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Ok so I want to have windows 10 save all my data to my secondary drive installed in the same PC. I’ve tried to move the user folders in the past with issues. So I’m just checking to see what the correct steps are to achieve this. Thanks!

Solution
if by user folders you mean libraries such as Music, videos, documents, downloads, etc. then

1. type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
  2. create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
thats just backup in case anything goes wrong.

1. create the destination folders on the new driver before starting
  2. follow this - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/
Make sure the destination folder location is correct before clicking okay to move. If its a hdd or wrong folder, you would need to run system restore and pick the restore point you created before the changes.

You can also relocate the Onedrive folder -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
if by user folders you mean libraries such as Music, videos, documents, downloads, etc. then

1. type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
  2. create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
thats just backup in case anything goes wrong.

1. create the destination folders on the new driver before starting
  2. follow this - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...e-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/
Make sure the destination folder location is correct before clicking okay to move. If its a hdd or wrong folder, you would need to run system restore and pick the restore point you created before the changes.

You can also relocate the Onedrive folder - https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...e-folder-f386fb81-1461-40a7-be2c-712676b2c4ae

Those are the only user folders you can safely move without breaking windows. You cannot move the default install location as that works for drivers/windows updates and will break windows.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I find little need to move the actual Libraries anymore.
Applications (and Win 10) have gotten really good at utilizing folders on other drives or partitions.

Save something to E/MyOtherDocSpace and then next time that application wants to save something, it will generally look to that as a default.

Downloads through the browser especially easy. Simply designate an alternate location in the settings. My browsers save directly to a folder on my NAS box.

But if you must, this:

Do NOT try to redirect the entire /Users/ folder. Tears will result.

Reactions: mkstretch

mkstretch

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks guys! this PC is for a friend so I’m just trying to make it simple for him to not fill his C drive up. Which is why I wiped it out. I think I ran into issues in moving folders in the past because I tried to move the whole user folder. I got errors and files were saving in two locations. It was a mess.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks guys! this PC is for a friend so I’m just trying to make it simple for him to not fill his C drive up. Which is why I wiped it out. I think I ran into issues in moving folders in the past because I tried to move the whole user folder. I got errors and files were saving in two locations. It was a mess.
The procedures for redirecting Libraries change between Win 7/8 and Win 8.1/10.
Previously, you just said Move, and it made the proper folder on the new drive.
With 8.1/10, you must first create a folder and tell it to Move there. Otherwise it gets completely screwed up.

mkstretch

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Ok so I have to go to the second drive and create a new folder for music,documents,videos, pictures etc. Then I would go to the C drive user folders and click properties on eace folder and click move and point it to my newly created folder on my secondary drive? now this shouldn’t save the same files to both locations right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
now this shouldn’t save the same files to both locations right?
right, it moves the location of the folder itself so if you click on the library folder link in quick access it takes you to the secondary drive.

Onedrive used to duplicate the files so if you moved a large file to Onedrive it would copy that file to another folder. I have all my music twice on my PC because of Onedrive. Library folders aren't duplicates, they are just shortcut links

Having said that, some programs are stupid. And see them as 2 different things. Foobar, for instance, looks on my hdd and in onedrive for files, and they are the same things. Annoying, set up playlist and have 2 copies of every song...