[SOLVED] Move from AM3+ to AM4

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
Hi to all Experts of PC, as the title says I'm trying to move my PC from AM3+ generation to AM4 because my MOBO is dead, fail to POST. And i need some advice on which version of CPU, and MOBO to buy. Or is there any solution to my current setup.

I am forced to change only what's necessary = MOBO, CPU and also RAM.

My current system is using FX6300 and R9 280, except the dead MOBO, everything is fine.

With budget below USD 300, I am looking at:
RYZEN 3 1200 or 2200G
ASROCK B450 PRO4
and 8gb hyperX RAM
- or should i just buy an AM3+ used or new board?

Below is the address for online purchase since I'm not from the US (from Malaysia).
https://www.lazada.com.my/

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi to all Experts of PC, as the title says I'm trying to move my PC from AM3+ generation to AM4 because my MOBO is dead, fail to POST. And i need some advice on which version of CPU, and MOBO to buy. Or is there any solution to my current setup.

My current system is using FX6300 and R9 280, except the dead MOBO, everything is fine.

RYZEN 3 1200 or 2200G
ASROCK B450 PRO4
and 8gb hyperX RAM

Below is the address for online purchase since I'm not from the US (from Malaysia).

Buy an...

logainofhades

Titan
I would make the upgrade to Ryzen, giving you a platform to upgrade further, once you can afford to, to a Ryzen 3000 CPU. Just make sure the ram speed is at least DDR4 3000. The 2200g is slightly faster, due to improved cache latency, so I would go with it. That board is a good budget option.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

RYZEN 3 1200 or 2200G
ASROCK B450 PRO4
and 8gb hyperX RAM

Buy an AM3+ motherboard and save your money to fully replace and update when you can afford it.

You should aim for something like this somewhere down the line.

Ryzen 3600 $199
B450 orX470 Board $75+
16G of DDR4 3200 or faster $95 "Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 for example works pretty well on Ryzen"
250GB+ M.2 drive $45 and up
$414

Replacing the GPU would also be nice, an R9 280 is getting long in the tooth and you should have new budget options opening up Q3 2019 to Q2 2020.

Reactions: EthianKenh
Solution

EthianKenh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2015
Buy an AM3+ motherboard and save your money to fully replace and update when you can afford it.

You should aim for something like this somewhere down the line.

Ryzen 3600 $199
B450 orX470 Board $75+
16G of DDR4 3200 or faster $95 "Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 for example works pretty well on Ryzen"
250GB+ M.2 drive $45 and up
$414

Replacing the GPU would also be nice, an R9 280 is getting long in the tooth and you should have new budget options opening up Q3 2019 to Q2 2020.

Thanks for the suggestion, it kind make more sense to me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes a band-aid is all that's required, and with budget restrictions, shortchanging purchases now would mean issues later. So just get a replacement AM3+ mobo, they are cheap, and save up for something worthy as a replacement when budget allows.