Move hard drive to new motherboard/cpu/RAM/Operating system

I want to upgrade my grandson's PC, currently WinME on ASUS P2B, Intel
PII 800mhz,768MB PC100, to WinXP Pro on ASUS P4R800-VM, Intel P4
2.8ghz, 1024MB PC3200, retaining the existing hard drive with all his
applications and data.

Clearly the hardware changes, especially the move to a hyperthreading
processor will give Windows indigestion.

Is it better to upgrade the Op System to WinXP Pro,then make the
hardware change or do the hardware first?

I'd prefer to leave the Windows upgrade to last so that all the
hardware is compatible with WinXP but is that the best route to go?

Whichever route is best, how do I ensure that the Windows on the hard
drive recognises the new hardware ??

Thanks for all guidance....step by step description would be much
appreciated by grandpa!

You'd be better off with a clean install of xp. You can do this without
installing Me first. Just boot to the xp disc, and at some point in the
install, it'll ask for the Me disc to make sure you have a previous OS
you're upgrading from. A clean install is always preferred when changing
hardware, especially to that extreme. You don't want to leave
everything as is and just upgrade. First off, the drivers from the
previous hardware will still be in windows, and may conflict with the
new drivers for the new hardware. Save yourself several headaches and
just clean install.

driver wrote:
> I want to upgrade my grandson's PC, currently WinME on ASUS P2B, Intel
> PII 800mhz,768MB PC100, to WinXP Pro on ASUS P4R800-VM, Intel P4
> 2.8ghz, 1024MB PC3200, retaining the existing hard drive with all his
> applications and data.

WinME to XP 'upgrade' install? You'll regret it...

> Clearly the hardware changes, especially the move to a hyperthreading
> processor will give Windows indigestion.

Perhaps not, if you don't boot to windows after setting the hardware up:
go straight to the XP install. But like I hinted at above, you'd be
better off doing a clean install and restoring the data from
backups/resintalling software. A lot of software on WinMe/9x machines is
not XP compatible and will ah heck up XP after an upgrade install.

> Is it better to upgrade the Op System to WinXP Pro,then make the
> hardware change or do the hardware first?
>
> I'd prefer to leave the Windows upgrade to last so that all the
> hardware is compatible with WinXP but is that the best route to go?
>
> Whichever route is best, how do I ensure that the Windows on the hard
> drive recognises the new hardware ??
>
> Thanks for all guidance....step by step description would be much
> appreciated by grandpa!

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On 18 Oct 2004 02:26:25 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
then strokedriver@btopenworld.com (driver) wrote :

>I want to upgrade my grandson's PC, currently WinME on ASUS P2B, Intel
>PII 800mhz,768MB PC100, to WinXP Pro on ASUS P4R800-VM, Intel P4
>2.8ghz, 1024MB PC3200, retaining the existing hard drive with all his
>applications and data.
>
>Clearly the hardware changes, especially the move to a hyperthreading
>processor will give Windows indigestion.
>
>Is it better to upgrade the Op System to WinXP Pro,then make the
>hardware change or do the hardware first?
>
>I'd prefer to leave the Windows upgrade to last so that all the
>hardware is compatible with WinXP but is that the best route to go?
>
>Whichever route is best, how do I ensure that the Windows on the hard
>drive recognises the new hardware ??
>
>Thanks for all guidance....step by step description would be much
>appreciated by grandpa!

I'd upgrade to WinXP pro now.Then move the drive over,then do a repair
install of XP on the new system as per,
You will most likely have to install some newer mother board drivers
for the new system but you would most likely have to do this even if
you did a clean re-install.
Useful bookmarks,
http://www.tipsdr.com/
http://www.winxpfix.com/

I've upgraded many systems this way with no problems as I don't always
have the luxury of being able to clean re-install.Also,
Regscrub XP,
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r882.html
Is an excellent registry cleaner to use on a regular basis with XP.

You may also have to visit the video card and sound card makers etc to
look for XP drivers if required.If you need more info on the system
hardware then download,"Everest Home Edition" a very useful free
program that will tell you all about nay system's hardware etc,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Cannot really be done the way you want to safely. If you change the
motherboard that a given harddrive's OS setup has been used with then you
MUST do a clean install of the OS on the new computer, and let the hardware
of the new system be detected during the new OS installation. Otherwise you
risk nasty ongoing Registry errors.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:

> Cannot really be done the way you want to safely. If you change the
> motherboard that a given harddrive's OS setup has been used with then you
> MUST do a clean install of the OS on the new computer, and let the hardware
> of the new system be detected during the new OS installation. Otherwise you
> risk nasty ongoing Registry errors.

You may safely ignore the paranoid babblings of DaveW on this matter.

> Cannot really be done the way you want to safely. If you change the
> motherboard that a given harddrive's OS setup has been used with then you
> MUST do a clean install of the OS on the new computer, and let the
> hardware of the new system be detected during the new OS installation.
> Otherwise you risk nasty ongoing Registry errors.
> --
> DaveW

Driver:
If I understand you correctly, you plan to change the
motherboard/processor/RAM and then install XP as an upgrade to the present
Me OS.

I'm not sure I understand your comment that "the move to a hyperthreading
processor will give Windows indigestion." There should be no problem with
this change that would cause any difficulty with the new Windows OS.

After you've installed the new motherboard/processor/RAM, simply install the
Windows XP OS (using XP's bootable installation CD) as an upgrade to the
current Me OS. There's a strong likelihood that XP will furnish the
necessary drivers for your existing hardware, however, you will most likely
also install the drivers provided on the ASUS installation CD that
accompanied the motherboard. Obviously, should any other drivers are needed,
e.g. the video card, not provided by XP or ASUS, they will have to be
provided by you.

In virtually every case of installing XP over Me, the upgrade goes smoothly
and without incident. In virtually every case, there is no need to perform a
"clean install" in order to avoid "nasty ongoing Registry errors". I've
performed dozens of similar upgrades and have never run into a single
problem along these lines. I've found XP to be a very well-behaved OS when
it comes to upgrading a Win98/Me OS.

Art

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:23:24 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote :

>Cannot really be done the way you want to safely. If you change the
>motherboard that a given harddrive's OS setup has been used with then you
>MUST do a clean install of the OS on the new computer, and let the hardware
>of the new system be detected during the new OS installation. Otherwise you
>risk nasty ongoing Registry errors.

Same old shite.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Shep, I am grateful for the links, especially Everest Home Edition, a
very neat little utility.

We will take the plunge this weekend..I will report back how we do.
Thanks again

On 19 Oct 2004 13:30:43 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
then strokedriver@btopenworld.com (driver) wrote :

>Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
>Shep, I am grateful for the links, especially Everest Home Edition, a
>very neat little utility.
>
>We will take the plunge this weekend..I will report back how we do.
>Thanks again

There's plenty of good folk out here who will help :p