[SOLVED] Move os from old nvme ssd to new nvme ssd

Sep 10, 2020
I have bought a new 1tb nvme ssd to replace my 256gb nvme ssd, how can I transfer/clone the OS from the old drive to the new if I only have 1 slot?

Thanks

Solution
OK, no problem.
This will need to be a SINGLE drive with enough free space. Not multiples.
Also, another small blank flash drive.

Given that, we do it with Macrium Reflect, and an Image...

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's...

USAFRet

Titan
OK, no problem.
This will need to be a SINGLE drive with enough free space. Not multiples.
Also, another small blank flash drive.

Given that, we do it with Macrium Reflect, and an Image...

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution
Sep 10, 2020
Thanks, I did kind of think it would be something like that but wasn't sure which software to use or how to boot up once changed over.

Thanks again for the help/ guide.

Sep 10, 2020
Hi, I just wanted to give an update, I tried yesterday to move over my data to the new drive using Macrium but it would not boot and showed a blue screen boot error, I tried several things yesterday and this morning to try get it to work, eventually I managed to create an image and restore it to the new drive using Easus Todo Free like this.

Create a boot USB.
Boot from the USB and make a disk image.
Power off and change over the SSD.
Boot from the USB and restore the disk image.
Restart and boot from the new SSD

I don't know why the Macrium image/restore didn't work but we got there in the end.

Thanks