Move Over GTX 1080, There’s A New Titan X In Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

gio2vanni86

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
If the TI comes out to being cheaper by like 300 then i would skip. If its a mere 200 i'd jump on two Titans real quick unfortunately extremely disappointing that still no HBM2.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Based on GP102, it seems. I'm kinda surprised it's only 60% faster.

BTW, I'm not impressed by the story of a bet. This thing smells like a GP100, but with the graphics blocks added in/enabled and GDDR5X instead of HBM2. Given that the shader count is the same as the GP100, any bet was probably about clock speed.

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
I'm very surprised that the new Titan X has been revealed quite so early especially with how high demand is for 1080/1070/1060. I am also severely disappointed that Nvidia will be trailing the HBM train by 2 generations of high end cards now. In all fairness there is still the GTX 1080Ti awaiting announcement but after seeing that the Titan doesn't have HBM I think it would be a total surprise for the 1080Ti to have HBM. Guess I'll be keeping my GTX 780's for another year! It's a bit of a shame, I was kinda looking forward to getting down to powering my lovely 4K display with only one card!

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

HBM or no HBM , the Benchmarks are good enough to upgrade from 980 Ti to 1080 Ti for those who can afford it.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

I wouldn't zip the wallet shut just yet my friend, they could end up doing to this New Titan X what they Did to the Original Titan, and 780 Ti. ( A GTX 1080 Ti with a little bit more cores, HBM2 maybe, and higher clock speed followed by a Titan with Full GP 100?)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You mean GTX 1080, right? Otherwise, where did you find 1080 Ti benchmarks? Such a card has yet to be announced.

And I wouldn't replace a GTX 980 Ti with a GTX 1080. Of course it's faster, but I'll hold out for at least 1080 Ti. I guess it depends on how much $$$ you can throw around.

GP100 is supposed to lack graphics units. And, aside from HBM2, the GP102 appears to have the same shader count and higher clockspeed than GP100. So, the only reason to do it would be for HBM2.

I think they will deliver a HBM2 card to the masses, as soon as they can get costs down and production volumes up. I think they're having trouble even satisfying the existing market for the GP100's, though.

pascal titan has 3584 cores while the 1080 has 2560. thats exactly 40% more cores. the 1080ti will probably have something like 3328 cores. so much power. generally speaking the core count % higher relates to about the same performance increase and wattage increase. i really think 3440x1440 is the gaming standard, plenty of dpi in a 34" model, and that ultra wide 21:9 gives a much better sudo triple monitor medium without the hassle of three monitors yet is noticeably less stressful than 16:9 2160p. for the most part a 980ti thru 1080 can easily munch through standard 1440p while uwqhd@100hz can be stressful on a the single gpu. the 1080ti/pascal titan looks to make that an ideal setup.

i agree with above. im surprised so soon. i was initially surprised by the 1070/1080 performance as well as i wouldve though their performance wouldve been about 10% less than what they game out with. kudos to nvidia.

iamacow

Admirable
Two GTX 1070s will be close in performance and a whole lot cheaper. Not to mention no games even at 4k use 8GB of ram, 12GB is pointless when its only GDDR5x. I'll either update to a 1080 Ti (from 1070) or get another 1070 next year. Not sure yet.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Very Disappointing. I sure hope AMD brings HBM2 on the 25th. AMD is most likely announcing their big cards on the 25th BTW. AMD is host a conference where they will be announcing the new FirePros and hopefully the new Fury and possibly a 490!

iamacow

Admirable
I hope AMD has something so my Nvidia cards get cheaper. Last AMD I had was a 4800, but AMD drivers have been crap for years making games nearly unplayable. Nvidia cards cost a lot more, but they sure do run games well.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
and 50% more memory bandwidth. Nearly equal to that of AMD's HBM-equipped Fury X.

They probably don't use it, because 'till a couple months ago, there have hardly been any cards that had more than 6. I don't know why you say 12 is pointless - they added 50% more RAM, but also increased bandwidth by the same amount. So, if 8 GB made sense at 256-bit, then no reason 12 GB wouldn't work just as well on a 384-bit interface.

Disappointing? Very?? Wow. Talk about entitled.

It was already well-known GP102 would be GDDR5X-based, if that's what you're on about.

Anyway, prepare to be Very, Very Disappointed. AMD did pull Vega into 2016, but you can bet it won't appear 'till late Q3 or Q4. And the power numbers on Polaris tell me it's not going to be a GP102-killer.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

As I understand it, AMD will be producing some of their GPUs on GlobalFoundries' 14 nm FinFET and some on TSMC's 16 nm FinFET process. If the relatively poor power characteristics of Polaris are actually caused by the process (GlobalFoundries nee Samsung) and not the architecture, and Vega is produced at TSMC, it may not necessarily suffer from the same problem. We'll have to wait for the reviews.

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

Very disappointed because I have been waiting for Nvidia to push into the HBM market for nearly 3 years now. I also know they have HBM2 cards (GP100) I was very much hoping for this new Titan to be HBM2 (Because I think its cool, and it is the first major advancement in chip and memory architecture in the last nearly 20 years) I would have bought 2 HMB2 Titans, even if it ran me $5,000 to do so. I have been waiting for it forever.

GDDR5X does not interest me. I get the card is fast, I am not disappointed in the theoretical performance. I am disappointed in the technology behind it. Its boring.,

rubberjohnson

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006

Cause SLI and Crossfire sucks. When have Titans exclusively targeted gamers? That extra RAM is useful to some people who do more than just play games on their cards.

Not true. If your last AMD card was a 4800 I'm sure you're qualified to pass judgement though.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wow, so how many AMD Fury cards do you have?

HBM is certainly a big jump in performance, but not more than the switch from DDR3 to GDDR5. I don't see why you care that much. Sure, they put it inside the package, and it so happens they have to stack the dies to make it fit. But it ultimately comes down to performance. It's not like the software would see it any differently. Once it's all packaged up into a product that you buy, the biggest difference is in your head (and maybe how much it costs).

If you want to talk about advancements in memory technology, 3D XPoint is a far bigger deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.