move RAID array to new Mobo

wwdoh

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
I recently bought an Asus M2n-E sli mobo and wanted to move my same raid configuration over to it. The board has 4 SATA drives (none designated for just RAID use). I have my OS (XP) on a WD80G. when no other SATA drives are connected it boots perfect. When i connect SATA2,3(mirror raid) it fails to boot and says "NTLDR is missing". Also right before this on post...it says IDE primary is SATA 1 (which is correct..my WD80g) but the next line is SATA 4 : none. There is no listing of SATA 2 or 3 which is where my RAID array is at. I put the array on sata2-3 due to BIOS info below where it shows SATA 1 SATA 4 ; to see if 2-3 were working. They work because when I hit F8 on start up i can force the bios to SKIP looking for the raid array and it will load into XP and when i check NVIDIA Media Shield they both show up. It says HEALTHY but i cant get them 'online' to access them. Am i missing something in BIOS? or missing drivers??

MAIN:
Primary IDE Master : none
Primary IDE Slave : none
Secondary IDE Master : cd/rw
Secondary IDE Slave : dvd
Sata 1 : WD 80G (XP)
Sata 4 : None

IDE Function Setup is as follows:
SATA Port 1,2 : Enabled
SATA DMA transfer : Enabled
SATA Port 3,4 : ENabled

The BIOS NVRAID Configuration is as follows:
Raid Enable : enabled
SATA 1 RAID : Disabled
SATA 2 RAID : Enabled
SATA 3 RAID : Enabled
SATA 4 RAID : Disabled

I recently bought an Asus M2n-E sli mobo and wanted to move my same raid configuration over to it. The board has 4 SATA drives (none designated for just RAID use). I have my OS (XP) on a WD80G. when no other SATA drives are connected it boots perfect. When i connect SATA2,3(mirror raid) it fails to boot and says "NTLDR is missing". Also right before this on post...it says IDE primary is SATA 1 (which is correct..my WD80g) but the next line is SATA 4 : none. There is no listing of SATA 2 or 3 which is where my RAID array is at. I put the array on sata2-3 due to BIOS info below where it shows SATA 1 SATA 4 ; to see if 2-3 were working. They work because when I hit F8 on start up i can force the bios to SKIP looking for the raid array and it will load into XP and when i check NVIDIA Media Shield they both show up. It says HEALTHY but i cant get them 'online' to access them. Am i missing something in BIOS? or missing drivers??

MAIN:

You kind of lost me with all the RAID questions. I would suggest buying a third party controller for your RAID installation if you plan on moving it around. I had a friend come to me recently pretty much begging if I could fix her computer. Her TV repair shop had all their valuable information on it and she got the message 'NTLDR is missing'. She called me late at night and said she could not access her computer, could I please help her. She brought the computer over. I reinstalled the boot files using these instructions. All is well.

http://www.tippscout.de/ntldr-is-missing_tipp_3259.html

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

MAIN:

raid arrays can be controller specific. i doubt you'll be able to succeed in moving it from one mobo controller to another, which is just one of many reasons i dont use onboard raid controllers.

good luck, you're gonna need it.

Valis[/list]

wwdoh

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
ok i finaly got the damn board to see ALL my drives...yeah!!

thing is now it shows my raid array drives as 'degraded' and still not accessable. Its showing my array as follows

Disk 0 Dynamic Online 37.27G unallocated
Disk 2 Dynamic Foregin 37.27G

I tried importing Disk 2 and it lets me, but NOTHING happens. Im thinking of just breaking the damn array and using 1drive for storage and 2nd as a back up. Either that or rebuilding....but again...the junky software thats controlling them on start up...wont rebuild when i select it. Any suggestions on maybe a program that might help? thanks in advance.