Move Windows 8 (upgrade)

Mad_Mike

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I am selling my HP laptop without the SSD that I upgraded to Windows 8 (from 7). I need to move the OS from the SSD it is currently installed on, to the old HDD (both internal).

Could I use something like EASUS Todo to clone the SSD (along with the stupid HP partition that is necessary), move it to the HDD, then do a Windows 8 fresh install to wipe my stuff?

Or will I have to install 7 on the HDDusing recovery disks and then upgrade it?

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
If you have a full set of HP Recovery disks it would seem to be the easiest option, install to the HDD and upgrade, that way none of your personal stuff survives and the new owner gets a fresh out-of-the-box install. (Format the HDD 1st of course!)
You could try cloning, do a full reset rather than refresh, but you would rely on there being a Recovery Partition or Installation disk, not so sure Recovery Disks would suffice.

Mad_Mike

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Sorry for the confusion. The laptop has two drive bays, one containing the 200gb ssd, the other containing the 750gb hdd. Windows 8 (upgraded from Windows 7) is installed on the ssd. THe three partitions on my ssd are Local Disk (C:), System (D:), and HP Tools (F:)

I need to move it to the hdd AND do a clean install. So, would it be ok to just clone the ssd and then use Windows 8's 'Refresh your PC' recovery option?

Or should I start from scratch by reinstalling Windows 7 on the hdd (using Hp's recovery disks as well) and then install the upgrade?

P.S. It will still be the same machine, just a different drive (I am selling the laptop, but keeping the ssd).

If you have a full set of HP Recovery disks it would seem to be the easiest option, install to the HDD and upgrade, that way none of your personal stuff survives and the new owner gets a fresh out-of-the-box install. (Format the HDD 1st of course!)
You could try cloning, do a full reset rather than refresh, but you would rely on there being a Recovery Partition or Installation disk, not so sure Recovery Disks would suffice.

Solution

Mad_Mike

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Ok, thanks for the advice. Will I need to change the drive letter to 'C' somehow?