Question Moved display port from mobo to graphics card, now lagging.

Jun 1, 2024
Hello everyone, I just realized my display port cable was plugged into my motherboard and not my graphics card.

When I moved the display port to my graphics card today, I noticed near instant audio and visual lag/buffering as well is visual artifacts / glitching.

I enabled G-sync, and I have confirmed it is a g-sync enabled monitor.

Any idea why this might be happening, and how I might fix it?

Specs listed below:

Windows 11

Geforce GTX 1660 TI

Motherboard - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING (LGA1151)

CPU - Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Use DDU to remove your GPU drivers from your platform(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jun 1, 2024
Hello Lutfij, thank you for that information. I did as requested and did the uninstall restart option with DDU, then reinstalled the drivers.

Still getting the same issues when plugged into the card vs the motherboard unfortunately, any other ideas I can try? Thank you for your time and your expertise!

GTX 1660 TI
where did you get this card;
bought used or refurbished,
gifted,
bought new?

have you ever used it before?

what power supply are you using?
include make & model + overall time in use.
noticed near instant audio and visual lag/buffering as well is visual artifacts / glitching
just on the desktop?
where exactly are you noticing this?

and what exactly do you consider "visual lag" or "glitching"?
describe the symptoms.

Jun 1, 2024
Hello JohnBonhamsGhost, thank you for your reply.

It was a prebuilt Origin PC, made in 2019. Same graphics card as when I purchased it.

I'm stupid and haven't been plugged into the motherboard for the past three years, so I guess this is the first time I've actually used the graphics card.

Trying to get the back panel off to view the PSU, I don't have a screwdriver small enough to get it off. I am sorry, will keep working on this to get you the make and model.

I haven't tried gaming since making the change, I notice the lag/glitching in my browser when trying to watch videos. I have tried in several other browsers and get the same issues.

When I say visual lag, I mean the video stops and buffers for a long time, then plays for a second or two. It has never really done this before, only now that I plugged into the graphics card.

When I say glitch I mean the audio was cutting in and out at first (although that seems to have stopped for the moment?) and the screen would temporarily freeze and just show blurred images of what the screen was supposed to show if that makes any sense.

I'm about ready to just plug back into the motherboard and just pretend graphics cards don't exist haha. It seems to have gotten a bit better after enabling g-sync but I dunno, will give it some time to see how it behaves.

Thank you all for your time and your help.

Trying to get the back panel off to view the PSU
the side panel should easily come off and allow access to the PSU.
may be in a smaller compartment but should able to unscrew it and slide it out somehow.
been plugged into the motherboard for the past three years, so I guess this is the first time I've actually used the graphics card
could end up being a faulty card.
the easiest way to test would be in another system to see if the issue(s) go away.

could also be BIOS or other settings just inhibiting it's performance.
a prebuilt Origin PC, made in 2019
what type of warranty did they offer, how long?