Moved Files, but not really?

S0meDude

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Weirdiest thing i've seen in a good while. I just got a new hard drive. And i'm moving some old files from my old one for storage onto the new one, drag and drop/cut & paste. This is where it gets strange. It shows up as on my new hard drive and no longer on my old one. The new drive shows that it has taken up some space, but wait. My old drive says it hasn't gained any space back. Like what I moved is still on the old drive, even though i can't locate it.

Any tips? Info? I'm really dumbfounded on this one lol.

Oh and another weird problem. I was running 2 SATAs in RAID before I had my new drive. And it booted fine, but now if I have my new HD attached it says "error loading operating system", if it isn't plugged in it is just fine.
I don't really get that either, i'm thinking something in cmos boot sequence? It's set at HDD-0 for the first.

for info - MOBO is Asus A7n8x deluxe, bios is 1005 (I can't find an update.)

Thanks for any help :)

The Sentence Below Is True
The Sentence Above Is False

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
As Wusy said, check recycle bin... :wink:

Oh and another weird problem. I was running 2 SATAs in RAID before I had my new drive. And it booted fine, but now if I have my new HD attached it says "error loading operating system", if it isn't plugged in it is just fine.
I don't really get that either, i'm thinking something in cmos boot sequence? It's set at HDD-0 for the first.
My guess here, is that because you never had a 'normal' hdd installed it would boot from the RAID array, but now you have one it expects it to have an OS on it (I've just been doing similar stuff myself).

You'll need to change the boot order to have 'Bootable Add-in cards' or 'SCSI RAID Adapter' or something prior to the HDD-0 option (not sure of the exact wording, but something along those lines). There might also be a 'Boot other device' setting, but that must already be on otherwise you'd have never had it booting off the RAID array in the first place :eek:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
You running something like Norton SystemWorks or the such (i.e. something with an unerase feature)? What end up happening with a lot of these programs is even after you delete something, to make things recoverable, it keeps the OS from writing over those blocks until the rest of the unsed ones on your disk have been taken up. With Norton, right-click on your Recycle Bin and look for the "Remove Protected Items" option to clear out all the deleted items on your HDD and get all your space back. Don't know about any other programs though.