[SOLVED] moved my pc into other room nothing works now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jxir2x

Prominent
Aug 2, 2019
i built this pc earlier today was working fine booted into windows all my components were showing up but when i moved it into my own room it wouldn’t turn on anymore no strip lights no fan lights no fan movement only the peripherals were blinking

Solution
Maybe check the manual for the keyboard and mouse to see what the blinking might mean.

Anyway..
You can try unplugging everything from the in between the PSU and the I/O switch on the case and replugging it. or go further and unplug absolutely everything and replugging.

You can also go straight to the assumption that something's wrong with the hardware (EDIT: cross-out Don't plug anything into the motherboard for this you just want to hear beeps right now.). The most definite way would be if you have an different working PC:

For the switch:
Plug the new cases switch into the old motherboard.

For the PSU:
Use the new PSU in the old PC in place of the old PSU.

For the Motherboard:
Connect the new motherboard to the old PSU and...

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
but now once you plug it in the mouse and keyboard blink... Starting to sound like the motherboard... Did you notice any beeping when you first turned it on and what all did you do on the computer before unplugging and moving it?

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe check the manual for the keyboard and mouse to see what the blinking might mean.

Anyway..
You can try unplugging everything from the in between the PSU and the I/O switch on the case and replugging it. or go further and unplug absolutely everything and replugging.

You can also go straight to the assumption that something's wrong with the hardware (EDIT: cross-out Don't plug anything into the motherboard for this you just want to hear beeps right now.). The most definite way would be if you have an different working PC:

For the switch:
Plug the new cases switch into the old motherboard.

For the PSU:
Use the new PSU in the old PC in place of the old PSU.

For the Motherboard:
Connect the new motherboard to the old PSU and the I/O switch to test it. (EDIT: Don't plug anything like mouse, keyboard, display, etc. into the motherboard right now you just want to hit the I/O and hear beeps.)

Last edited:
Solution

msimsin

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
Would an ESD cause power to go straight to the mouse and keyboard? I was thinking either things aren't plugged in right or it's a short circuit. Either the board was faulty or when he was moving it something conductive landed on the board bypassing the I/O straight to the USB ports...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard is just the messenger though.

If a tower cooler was used, was it removed before transport? If not, was the fan(s) removed? The latter at least makes the cooler a little lighter if the heatsink wasn't removed.
The really large towers have the potential to shift the cpu in the socket during transport, with a chance to bend some pins, though if you don't have one of these large towers, then disregard this.
Did you check for bent pins?

Was the gpu removed?
Beefy cards have the potential to warp the PCIe slot they sit in.
Did you try a different slot - if available with the motherboard?

Would an ESD cause power to go straight to the mouse and keyboard? I was thinking either things aren't plugged in right or it's a short circuit. Either the board was faulty or when he was moving it something conductive landed on the board bypassing the I/O straight to the USB ports...

I'm thinking 5v short somewhere if the keyboard and mouse are blinking without the pc being powered on.