[SOLVED] Movement keys stuttering while gaming

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
Hello,

since recently I have a problem that arises only while gaming: when I press a movement key like W, S or the like, the movement stutters as if I were repeatedly tapping the key instead of holding it down pressed. Interestingly, if I press two movement keys at once, W and A for instance, the game character will move normally, I can even release one of the keys and he will continue to move normally, but if I press only one key, the stutter appears again and this makes the game unplayable.

Important details:
  • My PC handles all the games I own comfortably, FPS is above 40 at all times, it is a Ryzen 5600X / AMD RX6600 system built 6 months ago.
  • So far I've experienced the problem while playing GTA V, RDR2 and Watch Dogs 2. I played RDR2 a few months ago and didn't have this problem, so this is a new development.
  • My keyboard is a wired Gamdias Ares from 2017. I tried remapping, the problem still occurs and I think a mechanical problem is unlikely because this issue doesn't appear outside games. I've tested the repeat rate via Control Panel and it worked normally.

So based on everything I assume this has something to do with some Windows or driver update that occurred recently. I use a Win 10 Home edition. I've seen some forum threads where people asked questions about this issue, but I haven't found a solution that works for me.

What can I do? Thanks in advance!

Solution
i would test to see if you can replicate problem with either:
  1. another PC and use KB in it and see if its the same
  2. another kb in same PC and see if its the same

Either would tell you if its the PC or the KB.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Solution

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017

Hi, Colif!

I brought home my office keyboard today to test it, and surprise surprise, everything works well! :)

So it turns out that my keyboard was the culprit after all... I wasn't expecting that, but I feel a bit relieved that it's not some Windows issue. I guess it's time to buy a new keyboard - this one served me for 5 years, I guess that's not bad for a relatively inexpensive device...

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Colif