[SOLVED] Moving a hard drive between two pcs

Apr 19, 2020
I am building a second desktop pc and I intend to have my current one run off a 320gb toshiba hdd that is currently formatted but unused (windows will be installed on that) and the new one run on an ssd of yet undetermined size. The idea is I will use my current hdd (930gb, also toshiba) (after I relocate the os) as my primary storage for both pcs. Basically when I need to use one I just plug in the hdd and use it and when I need to use the other I just swap it over. I wanted to confirm if this is actually possible before I commit to it and relocate and install stuff.

Solution
Data on a drive you will swap is no problem. Doc's, Text, pics, music, videos... are mostly OS agnostic.

Games that use launchers, like Steam, is mostly not a problem. Just add the location of the games folder to the launcher app's list of Librarys. Steam is easiest for these and will usually only need to verify some of the games files.

Programs IS a problem. The 2nd OS will not have any of the Registry edits or Appdata files that programs normally install and often will fail to run.
I am building a second desktop pc and I intend to have my current one run off a 320gb toshiba hdd that is currently formatted but unused (windows will be installed on that) and the new one run on an ssd of yet undetermined size. The idea is I will use my current hdd (930gb, also toshiba) (after I relocate the os) as my primary storage for both pcs. Basically when I need to use one I just plug in the hdd and use it and when I need to use the other I just swap it over. I wanted to confirm if this is actually possible before I commit to it and relocate and install stuff.
One with only data on it is not a problem but one with OS on it will have all kind of troubles when switching because OS will try to adapt itself to new hardware every time even with all drivers installed.

Apr 19, 2020
One with only data on it is not a problem but one with OS on it will have all kind of troubles when switching because OS will try to adapt itself to new hardware every time even with all drivers installed.

The OS will be on the dedicated drives. The one I will be moving around will be purely storage.

USAFRet

Titan
The OS will be on the dedicated drives. The one I will be moving around will be purely storage.
Be advised that the SATA cables and connectors are only rated for XX number of insertions. The number I've seen quoted is 50, but no real published specs on that.

Why not use an external drive for this, or shared folders, or a NAS box?
Carrying a hard drive around all the time increases the chance of dropping it.

Reactions: CountMike

popatim

Titan
Data on a drive you will swap is no problem. Doc's, Text, pics, music, videos... are mostly OS agnostic.

Games that use launchers, like Steam, is mostly not a problem. Just add the location of the games folder to the launcher app's list of Librarys. Steam is easiest for these and will usually only need to verify some of the games files.

Programs IS a problem. The 2nd OS will not have any of the Registry edits or Appdata files that programs normally install and often will fail to run.

Solution