"Moving" a programme from Vista to Win10

Steamy Wee

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I have a PCA Magazine (now Tech Advisor) "Freebie" disk from 2012 which I have cherished for the one diamond amongst the dross:-
LuLu Software's Soda PDF 2012 Standard edition.

I don't use it frequently but it is an invaluable tool when creating or editing PDF's
OK, it's a bit clunky and it takes patience, but it's the best editor out there, ...especially at the price!

I installed it on my Windows 10 machine OK, but the licence key which I have from the original disk is not recognised, ...hardly surprising six years on, but it means that I can only use the installed copy for a trial period!

So I'm looking for a piece of freeware that will copy the installation from my Vista machine and move it to my new Windows 10 machine so that I can just continue using it without the need to input the "key" again.

Furthermore, not that I don't trust these programmes, but I would like the original install to remain unchanged, in the event that the transfer fails to produce a working copy!
Then I can release the machine from the grip of Windows and have some fun with Linux too!:)

Steamy Wee

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks for that, I've been looking at something called "pickmeapp" which as far as I can see professes to be able to do this, although there is not much recent detailed feedback about it, or the need to subsequently re-register the moved software.

USAFRet

Titan

You can try it.
I'd be shocked and impressed if it actually worked, registration or not.

Big architecture change between Vista and Win 10.

I'd recommend doing a full drive backup before you tried it. Just in case it completely hoses up the OS or its registry.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Have you tried Inkscape? https://inkscape.org/en/? It's free, fast, gets updated frequently and has a massive amount of features that doesn't limit you to small files or locking you out of created content.

As far as moving what you have try this.

Locate all the folders for that program.
Copy them to a flash drive and remember exactly where you got them.
Copy them to the new PC in exactly the same folder locations
Locate the .exe icon and attempt to launch, it will work or not depending on how they set up the license security.

You might need to delete the folder or Folders and try different locations, try these.
C:/
Program Files "Not used all the much, Older install applications that haven't updated will stick it here"
Program Files(X86) " Most things now install here"

Steamy Wee

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks USAFRet, but the Soda link takes me to a $55 yearly subscription version of the program I currently have for free!
The Foxit Phantom software is $95 per year!!
Far from free!
delaro, Inkscape? really???
It's a Vector Graphics programme as I recall, how does that edit PDF documents?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

I did... which is why I suggested it. As far as PDF goes it is the best thing outside of Paid apps you will find. The only issue I had with it was the amount of features, it took me awhile to explain it to my daughter but that is all she uses now.

Steamy Wee

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

I'm not on the other machine now, but I'll give it a try later.
I tried to select your suggestion as the soution but it wouldn't let me, The only place I found I was able to do it, was in the email notifications which `had all come from USAFRet.

TRENDING THREADS