Moving a RAID array to a new motherboard?

scopie

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Hello all, I'm trying to figure out if I can replace my motherboard without borking my two RAID arrays.

I've got an Abit IP35 (P35 chipset) motherboard with the Intel ICH9R southbridge. I've got a two-disk RAID 0 and a three-disk RAID 5 arrays set up on it. The board has a defect and I need to RMA it to Newegg. However, Newegg is no longer selling that exact motherboard, so chances are I would get back either a similar model or just the equivalent cash in a gift card form.

So we come to my question: Can I move these arrays to a new board and still have them intact? Should I stick to a board with the same southbridge (P35, X38, etc.)? Does anyone have experience doing anything like this?

I realize I could RMA direct to manufacturer, but going through Newegg would be far more painless and I might be able to get a free upgrade in the process ;)

Thoughts?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
As long as the new MB also has an ICH9R south bridge, the arrays should be recognizable, and your Windows installation should still boot. As always, there are no guarantees, of course. For absolutely no good reason, the new ICH9R might not recognize the arrays, and then you would be left trying to do a recovery with something like Runtime.org's RAID Reconstructor.

scopie

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
As long as the new MB also has an ICH9R south bridge, the arrays should be recognizable, and your Windows installation should still boot. As always, there are no guarantees, of course. For absolutely no good reason, the new ICH9R might not recognize the arrays,

That was my instinct as well. I can't find any specific information anywhere about how Intel built-in RAID controllers handle situations like this, does anyone know where I can find any?