Moving a RAID5 from one motherboard to another

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I have an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard and I have three Seagate 2TB drives in a RAID5. I am concerned that my motherboard might be bad. If I replace the motherboard with an identical model, can I set up another RAID5 in such a way that I can preserve the data that is already on the three drives? If so, what steps do I need to take to make sure that happens?

Thanks guys.

Solution
I have successfully moved an Intel ICHR9 array to a separate, identical board. As long as the chipset is the same, you shouldn't have any issues. The raid meta information is stored on the drives. I searched quite a bit, and found a lot of people having good luck with transfering drives to same chipset AMD raid arrays. Obviously, if you have a way to back up, it would be highly recommended.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I have successfully moved an Intel ICHR9 array to a separate, identical board. As long as the chipset is the same, you shouldn't have any issues. The raid meta information is stored on the drives. I searched quite a bit, and found a lot of people having good luck with transfering drives to same chipset AMD raid arrays. Obviously, if you have a way to back up, it would be highly recommended.

Solution