[SOLVED] Moving a SATA HDD from an intel based computer to an amd based computer.

Jun 9, 2020
I'm upgrading my PC from an Intel CPU to a AMD CPU. This means I will be changing the motherboard and CPU all together. My current PC has two drives, an SDD and an HDD. After switching out the computer hardware and doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SDD, can I also just connect the HDD to the motherboard afterward? Will all the files and file directory still be preserved?

Solution
I'm upgrading my PC from an Intel CPU to a AMD CPU. This means I will be changing the motherboard and CPU all together. My current PC has two drives, an SDD and an HDD. After switching out the computer hardware and doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SDD, can I also just connect the HDD to the motherboard afterward? Will all the files and file directory still be preserved?
What, specifically, is on the HDD?
Just regular files, like movies/pics/etc are fine.
Any applications won't work.
Steam/Origin games, maybe probably.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Jun 9, 2020
Yes I am mostly concerned about regular files such as those you mentioned + documents, pdfs, etc. Is the best bet to do a complete backup of my hard drive to a separate external hard drive? Would this then preserve all file types?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Your important files ought to be backed up at all times anyway. And preferably, backed up in multiple places. If your important files are not currently being backed up, I'd worry about this before making an upgrade, because it's by far the most important issue you face.

TRENDING THREADS