moving a upgraded from win 7 to win 10 to new PC

Peterthecat1

Honorable
May 31, 2014
So I have decided to move up from haswell to skylake based PC (MB & CPU & DDR4) I currently running the free upgrade of windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro...also changing brands of MB from asrock to gigabyte... I doubt that if I use to old SSD(which I would love to do and keep all the stuff that is on there) that the system will boot up so that I can change drivers... the question is can I move that windows 10 to another PC or will I have to purchase another copy of win 10

Solution

2 considerations, Operation and Licensing.

1. Operation - it may or may not boot in the new hardware. If it does not, then a reinstall is likely the only way forward.

2. Licensing - As of the Anniversary release, you can link your OS license with a Microsoft...

USAFRet

Titan

2 considerations, Operation and Licensing.

1. Operation - it may or may not boot in the new hardware. If it does not, then a reinstall is likely the only way forward.

2. Licensing - As of the Anniversary release, you can link your OS license with a Microsoft account, rather than the specific hardware.
Read more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

It appears so, yes. I have not tried it, but that is specifically what MS says.
"...a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard. "

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation
Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
If you made a significant hardware change to your device (such as replacing the motherboard) Windows 10 might no longer be activated. If you're running Windows 10 (Version 1607) and added your Microsoft account and linked it to the digital license on your device, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows. For more info, see Using the Activation troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter
You recently made a significant hardware change

If you recently made a significant hardware change to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your device.

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info: .....

Peterthecat1

Honorable
May 31, 2014
ok so I looked into those threads and my version is 1511 and says "activated with digital entitlement" and doesnt give me an option to sign in to my account or create an account

at this point I was expecting to have to do a clean install onto the old or a new SSD since its really a big upgrade and a different brand of MB and haswell to skylake!!!

I was pretty sure I wasnt the only one who was going to do this and so trying to get some info on this transfer cuz I know the new win 10 is more of a digital license than a numbers only game

Peterthecat1

Honorable
May 31, 2014

ok so I looked into those threads and my version is 1511 and says "activated with digital entitlement" and doesnt give me an option to sign in to my account or create an account

at this point I was expecting to have to do a clean install onto the old or a new SSD since its really a big upgrade and a different brand of MB and haswell to skylake!!!

I was pretty sure I wasnt the only one who was going to do this and so trying to get some info on this transfer cuz I know the new win 10 is more of a digital license than a numbers only game

USAFRet

Titan

Right. You need to update to the latest release, 1607.

Peterthecat1

Honorable
May 31, 2014

ok upgraded to 1607 and linked it to my account...so now I change out the old for the new and do a fresh install of win 10 pro and initially skip the activation queries until all drivers and such are updated then use the activation troubleshooter to get the activation authorized???

USAFRet

Titan

Apparently, thats how it works.
This is all new, so you get to be the test subject...:)

Peterthecat1

Honorable
May 31, 2014
ok so finally got things working and it was a real pain not 100% sure where the issue was...I think windows was the main problem...I was using an older version of windows 10 on my usb installer...I gave up on the first try and re downloaded an iso file and used that and things went better...tho since windows 10 no longer has a file & app transfer wizard they recommended PC mover...the free version transfers settings and files but not programs but they advertised for the upgrade PC Mover Pro which will...well my experience was a disaster!! as things went relatively smoothly for the set up and transfer...I found that many of my programs would not load...even with fresh installs and god forbid my steam games wouldn't load either ...I tried this twice and finally gave up did a fresh windows install and then did new installs of programs and bit the bullet and re downloaded my steam games(this fail also occurred when i tried my steam games on a usb drive we use for testing which also resolved with the fresh install) this fixed the issue....so there is something off with that program or there is some criteria that is not obvious that causes this problem..so beware moving to a new PC with windows 10

Note on the first install with the new copy i did use a windows code to get past the activation phase??? when it was done and the MB drivers were installed so that the internet became available it had me login to my microsoft account and then it activated and said that activation was with the digital license..as the above post details i had to redo windows again and this time did not use the code and it went thru fine.. tho I could tell not all things were wiped with the fresh install over the old(did install w usb drive and booted from the usb) Its odd that only the last time i did this did windows ever prompt for which version...the old version got stuck on home the second did say pro after i signed into my account and activated that way and the final time(also booting from the usb and wiping out the partitions on my main drive) It did ask what version I wanted??? three fresh installs all different progression????