Moving an OEM HDD from Pre-built.

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Hello Community!

So I have just built a new gaming rig and I was wondering if it is possible to move my old OEM HDD from my pre-built HP-Pavilion from 2013 and install it into the new PC. And if so, how can I execute this process?

The HDD came with Windows 8 and I took the free Windows 10 upgrade route.

-Thank you for your time.

Solution
It's possible to move it....but I would wipe it clean at some point.

You don't want to install it as a boot drive as is. The Windows 10 that is on there is expecting your Pavilion hardware and I think there's a good chance that won't end well.

I would either wipe it and install an OS on it and use it as your boot.....or.....wipe it....and use it as a backup.
It's possible to move it....but I would wipe it clean at some point.

You don't want to install it as a boot drive as is. The Windows 10 that is on there is expecting your Pavilion hardware and I think there's a good chance that won't end well.

I would either wipe it and install an OS on it and use it as your boot.....or.....wipe it....and use it as a backup.

Solution

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017

So once I've wiped it and installed it into the new PC, will it still be considered an OEM HDD and be attached to the new build until I wipe it again?

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017

If I were to wipe the drive, can I still move it to a new computer without the licence? And would I just have to get a new licence then?

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Tigerwarrior1 : "Wipe OEM drive and just buy a new license?"

Okay thx so much!

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Tigerwarrior1 : "OEM HDD Windows activation on another motherboard?"

Which OS is this, and where did it come from?

However, we will not help you with falsifying information just so you can save a couple of $$ on a whole new PC.

TRENDING THREADS