[SOLVED] Moving an ssd with windows to a new pc

mirovalol

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
So, i have an old laptop with 500gb ssd i want to move to my desktop.

The laptop ssd has a windows i wont be needing but i would need some files out of the 500 ssd. Do my files transfer if i just plug it in to the desktop? Will the old laptop windows cause problems?

If i cant just plug it in, what is the easiest way to move the ssd + files.

Both of the ssd are Samsung. Smaller is a 256gb 840 evo, bigger is 500gb 850 evo. I also have a 3tb hdd in the desktop.

Do you think i should make the 850 evo my system drive for the desktop, and how much work would that be.

All of the drives are staying in the desktop, and windows is currently on the 840 evo.

Thank you!

Solution
That is almost guaranteed to fail.
The desktop needs a new clean install of the OS.

Which drive? Up to you and your use, but I'd probably use the 500GB 850 EVO.

mirovalol

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Yeah that's what i thought, what is the easiest way of getting the 850 evo files transferred.

The desktop does not need a new install, if i keep the 840 as system drive, and just add the 850 as a secondary drive. but i need the files that are currently on the 850.

How much work is it to change the 850 to system drive and still keeping all the files, and how do i do that.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, I thought you meant moving the OS drive from the laptop to the desktop.
If the desktop already has its own OS, no problem.

Just plug the relevant drive in.

If the desktop currently has its OS on the 250GB 840 EVO, leave it like that.
Possibly change later, via a clone operation.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should be able to just plug in the old 500GB SSD and transfer any files you need from it to your 3TB HDD. Then you can format the old 500GB SSD to get rid of the Windows install on that drive.

Then you can choose whether or not to reinstall Windows onto the larger SSD or keep your current OS install on the smaller 256GB drive.

-Wolf sends

As wolfshadow said ^

The only trouble you might run into is having your computer boot with the 500GB SSD instead of your desktop's main OS drive. Thus I recommend going into bios and making sure you boot directly with your main OS drive. Once you're logged in you should be able to see your old SSD on the list and move whatever files you need. Then just format it.