[SOLVED] Moving assembly language program to new pc

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
A friend has an older HP laptop that has hinge issues and wants to migrate an assembly language program to another PC. The assembly language program is his only priority. (He uses a Mac for all other functions.)

I suggested he just use off-the-shelf migration software to replicate the hard drive to an intact PC. But I'm concerned that the assembly language program may be making cpu calls specific to the CPU.

Are assembly language programs cpu specific? If the next PC has a different CPU will the assembly program run? How close does the CPU of the new PC have to be to the old PC.

Please forgive my nubeness about assembly language - never had to deal with it before.

Solution
Yeah, I know, a lot of unknowns. He is quite old and wrote this when he was much younger. I was thinking maybe he could find a used matching laptop and just migrate the hard drive. That should work. But was hoping any of the calls would work with a newer x86 cpu. You don't think that would work?
ALL compiled programs are "assembly language" once they are compiled. Copying the source code and executable to a USB drive is the best way to save it. Using an external monitor should allow the Laptop to function during the transfer if the built-in display is not working.

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, I know, a lot of unknowns. He is quite old and wrote this when he was much younger. I was thinking maybe he could find a used matching laptop and just migrate the hard drive. That should work. But was hoping any of the calls would work with a newer x86 cpu. You don't think that would work?

kanewolf

Titan
ALL compiled programs are "assembly language" once they are compiled. Copying the source code and executable to a USB drive is the best way to save it. Using an external monitor should allow the Laptop to function during the transfer if the built-in display is not working.

Solution