I have removed a hard drive from an old IBM computer and intend to format it
and use it as a back up in one newer computer. I would very much like to move
its contents including the Windows Pro OS to another drive in a newer
computer connected to it by a LAN. If it is not possible or desireable to
move the OS I probably could install it on the new computer as I still have
the CD purchased from a store in a box. If helpful I could temporarily
install that drive in the computer I wish to use it in, but have been warned
that just moving the drive could cause significant problems because of the
differences in the platform of the 2 computers.

Please tell me the best way to proceed.

Secondly when I have two drives in each newer computer please tell me the
easiest way to move the contents of one drive to the other drive in the same
computer to use as a back up.

Thank you.

"Trader Chuck" wrote:

> I have removed a hard drive from an old IBM computer and intend to format it
> and use it as a back up in one newer computer. I would very much like to move
> its contents including the Windows Pro OS to another drive in a newer
> computer connected to it by a LAN. If it is not possible or desireable to
> move the OS I probably could install it on the new computer as I still have
> the CD purchased from a store in a box. If helpful I could temporarily
> install that drive in the computer I wish to use it in, but have been warned
> that just moving the drive could cause significant problems because of the
> differences in the platform of the 2 computers.
>
> Please tell me the best way to proceed.
>
> Secondly when I have two drives in each newer computer please tell me the
> easiest way to move the contents of one drive to the other drive in the same
> computer to use as a back up.
>
> Thank you.

Your information is correct. Simply installing that hard disk in a
newer computer will cause all kinds of problems for the OS -- it
probably would not boot up because of the different chipset and other
hardware in the new machine.

By far the best plan is to do a fresh install of Windows XP on the new
hard drive. However this will also entail reinstalling all your other
software as well. In addition, when you go to activate XP on the new
machine you will be required to call Microsoft and explain what you are
doing, that is, decommissioning your old PC. They will issue you a
code to allow you to activate your new installation.

Data transfers are not a problem, the LAN method works fine. However I
would set up the old hard drive as slave in the new machine simply
because that's the configuration you want to end up with anyway.

Don't be in too big a hurry to format your old drive. Give yourself a
few days just to make sure you've got everything you need on the new
one. Personally I would burn CDs of _all_ data folders.

--
DaveM59
DaveM59's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2000

You could move it to the new computer. When you boot the new computer make
certain you pop your XP CD into the drive and run a Repair Install before
trying to boot to the Desktop. The Repair Install will enable you to keep
the data and installed apps that were on the old drive. I've done this many
times. The Repair Install is essentially like running an upgrade. See How To
Run a Repair Install at this link
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm Once you have run the Repair
Install you can boot to the Desktop. After this you can use a drive copy
program to clone the old drive to the new larger drive then erase the old
drive and use it as storage.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp