[SOLVED] Moving data from one drive to another.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
So I have both a 1tb hard drive and a 2tb. My 1tb has all my games and applications and its getting full so i want to move it to the 2tb. Is there a clean way to move all files to my other hard drive so when I change the 2tb drive letter to the same one as the 1tb Steam can pick up on that normal?

Solution
To clone the whole thing to the 2TB, exactly like this:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD...

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
When you change MB and CPU it is recommended to reinstall windows, especially if you are moving to a new generation. Changes to the CPU and MB can cause minor incompatibilities with the installed drivers that leads to an unstable system. Maybe your lucky and you don't have any problems, but if weird issues start popping up (restarts, slowdowns, etc) then you should strongly consider doing a reinstall or at a minimum a Win 10 reset.
Will do thanks.