[SOLVED] Moving data from one drive to another.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
So I have both a 1tb hard drive and a 2tb. My 1tb has all my games and applications and its getting full so i want to move it to the 2tb. Is there a clean way to move all files to my other hard drive so when I change the 2tb drive letter to the same one as the 1tb Steam can pick up on that normal?

Solution
To clone the whole thing to the 2TB, exactly like this:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD...

USAFRet

Titan
So I have both a 1tb hard drive and a 2tb. My 1tb has all my games and applications and its getting full so i want to move it to the 2tb. Is there a clean way to move all files to my other hard drive so when I change the 2tb drive letter to the same one as the 1tb Steam can pick up on that normal?
This depends on what you're trying to move, and why.

If you want to move the entire contents of the 1TB to th 2TB, that is (relatively) easily done.
But why?

If you're looking to move some of it, that can maybe be done.
But what parts of it, and why?

USAFRet

Titan

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

But what problem are you actually trying to solve?

Solution

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

But what problem are you actually trying to solve?
Wait I got it, so does this clone the driver letter ( I doubt it) or do I have to do that manually and reset?

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
When I clone a boot drive with Acronis, it will also set the drive letter of the new drive to the drive letter of the previous boot drive. It sounds like you are doing a data drive (secondary drive) and I am not sure what it does. You may have to do it manually.
So i finsied cloning and it cloned over the same storage size, so i would extend that normally in disk manager right?

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Yes, sort of. But exactly what issue are you trying to fix?
Just wanted to move my files to a bigger drive, my 1tb was getting full and I have a empty 2tb. And I just added the rest of the volume to the 2tb and I have all my storage now. Now all i have to do is change the drive letter. Whats the best way to do that?

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
The thing ab
admin tools -> computer management -> disk management ... right click the drive you want to change and select "Change drive letter and path ... "

You can find administrative tools in control panel or put it in the search bar.
I cant do that with the other drive still using the same drive, do I format the old drive? Or do this in safe mode.

USAFRet

Titan
So I'm having a issue where I disconnected the 1tb and I booted up the PC but when I tried to change the drive letter of the 2tb to the same as the 1tb I get a error the parameter is incorrect.
OK.
It seems you've done multiple things incorrectly.

And given an original 1 TB and 2TB drives, there were probably better, easier ways to end up at the place you wanted to be.
Which is what I asked at the beginning.

In the hopes that you've not yet 'deleted' anything...can you return the system back to original operation condition?
Disconnect the 2TB completely, and boot up with only the 1TB in there.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
OK.

And given an original 1 TB and 2TB drives, there were probably better, easier ways to end up at the place you wanted to be.

In the hopes that you've not yet 'deleted' anything...can you return the system back to original operation condition?
I have already fixed the issue, I did what you said to clone the drive and everything and that worked fine. The issue I had was the drive letter. I could not change or remove it from the previous drive because windows had some system files attached to the drive (pre allocated) so I tued off paging on that drive completely and just changed the drive letter in safe mode and everything works normally.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
OK.

I have another question regarding storage and changing of hardware. Should I make another thread or should I just continue here.

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Make a whole new thread, and I'm quite sure we can make some relevant comments.
(and let me know the link, so you can be guided in the actual correct direction)
I actually don't need to as k the question. Widows seems to have done it itself. I was changing my Motherboard CPU and Ram and last time I've done something like this I had to reinstall windows but windows this time has automatically detected the hardware change and proceeded as such. Windows works fine now. Thanks for the help. USAFret and anotherdrew.

When you change MB and CPU it is recommended to reinstall windows, especially if you are moving to a new generation. Changes to the CPU and MB can cause minor incompatibilities with the installed drivers that leads to an unstable system. Maybe your lucky and you don't have any problems, but if weird issues start popping up (restarts, slowdowns, etc) then you should strongly consider doing a reinstall or at a minimum a Win 10 reset.