Question Moving data to new machine with separate SSD boot drive

Les Berkley

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hello all!

I just bought a new machine which has a 256GB SSD and a 4TB HD. SSD has Win 10 on it. 4TB is empty. I am expecting to have to re-install my applications on the SSD. I will set up my current HD as an external and copy files and folders to the new 4TB without the system files. Is there a way to do this so that I can "point" the apps to the "old" AppData and so forth? (Presumably the applications would "expect" to find their files on the boot drive?) Should I just move the current contents of (say) AppData.../Adobe to the corresponding folder on the SSD?

Last edited:
If you copy the full contents of your user folder including hidden and system files then your AppData will also get copied. Same thing for any other system files, but I don't like doing that. Tends to negate the benefits of a clean setup if you are copying your old setup and temp files over.

You really don't want to fill up that SSD with too much other than the OS. It's too small. Once it gets over 60% filled it will start to slow down, and the closer you get to full capacity it can cripple the SSD. You should really put only essential apps on the SSD alongside the OS, and use the HDD for everything else. Some apps will simply allow you to choose the new folder on the HDD and scan for appropriate files. This is often found in the settings of each app. The same with Steam and Origin if you're a gamer.

Les Berkley

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I just bought a piece of software that claims to transfer apps. (Easeus Todo PCTrans) It gets good reviews, and seems to allow me to pull the clone of my current HDD, connect it to the new PC and copy apps, registry entries, etc. It was cheap on some weird but totally legal online giveaway (I had to read and write German, but app is US English)! This will all be LOTS of FUN! I'm also really curious about the boot time with a PCIe SSD. Under ten seconds?

USAFRet

Titan
I just bought a piece of software that claims to transfer apps. (Easeus Todo PCTrans) It gets good reviews, and seems to allow me to pull the clone of my current HDD, connect it to the new PC and copy apps, registry entries, etc. It was cheap on some weird but totally legal online giveaway (I had to read and write German, but app is US English)! This will all be LOTS of FUN! I'm also really curious about the boot time with a PCIe SSD. Under ten seconds?
Applications that claim to transfer "apps" have a very small list of things they will work with.

Cloning applications, OTOH, are free and easy. Transfer everything from one drive to another (given certain circumstances).

Les Berkley

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Applications that claim to transfer "apps" have a very small list of things they will work with.

Cloning applications, OTOH, are free and easy. Transfer everything from one drive to another (given certain circumstances).
The app transfer thing was $15 which is okay. It will do Adobe and Office and Firefox, and that's worth it. I don't want to clone the drive--in fact, it's already cloned as a backup (Macrium).

USAFRet

Titan
OK, so what issues are you expecting to happen?
All your other applications are null and void.

PS: transferring Firefox to a new system or OS is free. Export the profile, install the application, import the profile.
Takes about 60 seconds.