[SOLVED] Moving default SDD to HDD

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Looked through other posts on this issue and getting a lot of mixed opinions and suggestions.

I have a new build and I installed my OS on my SSD and intend to install anything I can going forward on my HDD. I understand I can select where files are saved, however I notice all my profiles and program files are on SSD and anything related to those items will be saved to the SSD. Can I move these specific files to the HDD so any documents and programs associated with user profiles and file folders are saved to HDD? My initial plan was to only have OS on SSD and everything else on HDD.

For example I save word and excel spreadsheets to my documents folder and that file is located ONLY in my SSD (none of the User profiles or sub folders are in the HDD). Can these files simply be moved or created without negative impact? I changed all default programs to save HDD, but nothing has gone to that drive thus far.

Clarity or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SlyGuy

Solution
500GB SSD
2 TB HHD

1st time using the SSD. my previous build suffered the 100% disk space usage recently and I want to allow windows 10 to have plenty of room to stretch its legs.
500GB is plenty for OS and all applications.

The things that take up space are video/music/etc.
Applications are relatively tiny.
Unless you install the entire VisualStudio environment. That takes about 150GB...lol

But my system is set up much like that.
OS and all applications on the 500GB SSD, and my 'files' go elsewhere on other drives.
1 drive for photo work, 1 for CAD/video, 1 for games, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Your personal files, Word, Excel, etc...can live whereever.
You don't have to save them in the Documents library. Create a folder on the HDD, call it MyStuff.
The next time you use Word, when you save that file...navigate to that folder and save.
The next time with word...it will prompt that location as the save place.
Applications and Windows have gotten really good about multiple drives.

The /User/ folder - Do not move that. Bad things will happen.

Applications can be installed on whatever drive or folderyou choose. It does not have to go in the default 'Program Files' location. You have to do that when you install something.
But, you'd be giving up a large benefit of having the SSD. You want your applications on the fast drive. That is why we have them.

What size is this SSD?

Reactions: Palorim12

slyguy28

Commendable
Jun 25, 2020
Your personal files, Word, Excel, etc...can live whereever.
You don't have to save them in the Documents library. Create a folder on the HDD, call it MyStuff.
The next time you use Word, when you save that file...navigate to that folder and save.
The next time with word...it will prompt that location as the save place.
Applications and Windows have gotten really good about multiple drives.

The /User/ folder - Do not move that. Bad things will happen.

Applications can be installed on whatever drive or folderyou choose. It does not have to go in the default 'Program Files' location. You have to do that when you install something.
But, you'd be giving up a large benefit of having the SSD. You want your applications on the fast drive. That is why we have them.

What size is this SSD?

500GB SSD
2 TB HHD

1st time using the SSD. my previous build suffered the 100% disk space usage recently and I want to allow windows 10 to have plenty of room to stretch its legs.

USAFRet

Titan
500GB SSD
2 TB HHD

500GB is plenty for OS and all applications.

The things that take up space are video/music/etc.
Applications are relatively tiny.
Unless you install the entire VisualStudio environment. That takes about 150GB...lol

But my system is set up much like that.
OS and all applications on the 500GB SSD, and my 'files' go elsewhere on other drives.
1 drive for photo work, 1 for CAD/video, 1 for games, etc.

Solution

Palorim12

Distinguished
adding to what @USAFRet wrote, you can change the default location of your Documents, Downloads, etc to always be on the HDD. just create new folders with the same names on your HDD and do the following:

1. Open File Explorer
  2. Navigate to the Documents (Music, Downloads, etc) folder located in C:\Users\<username>
  3. Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
  4. Open Location tab and enter the desired new path.
  5. Click Move.
  6. It will open the Explorer dialog box.
  7. Navigate to and select the desired new location; or else manually enter the path.
  8. Click Apply/OK.
I even did it with my Desktop folder because i save alot of things to the desktop

USAFRet

Titan
adding to what @USAFRet wrote, you can change the default location of your Documents, Downloads, etc to always be on the HDD. just create new folders with the same names on your HDD and do the following:
I used to do that, even wrote a couple of tutorials on it. Win 7 & 8, and WIn 8.1 & 10.

But I've not needed to do that in a LONG time. OS and applications now suggest the most recent place you saved, instead of always defaulting to the Libraries.

The Downloads location is set in the browser settings. Much much safer than redirecting the library.
My firefox and Edge browsers save directly to a location on the NAS, on the other side of the living room.

Reactions: Palorim12