[SOLVED] Moving Files between Drives Start at 120 mbs then drop to 15 mbs

lilian242ra

Prominent
Apr 6, 2019
when moving files between my Drives (Internal ) from my WD Black drives to my WD blue 1tb Drive
i use copy paste to move files
the speed start fast at 120 to 130 mbs then drop to 15 then up to 40 down to 30 why ?
all Drives are healthy acording to drives Smart data

Solution
Because the initial speed is it's "burst" or "cache" driven speed. Once the cache is full, speed will drop considerably. If you have a hard drive with a 256mb cache it's going to maintain that speed a bit longer than one with a 64mb cache.

There is nothing wrong, this is normal. You are probably moving MANY files, of various sizes including many small files. Those will take much longer to move, at much slower speeds, than a single large file. A large folder should not be confused with a large file. Folders contain many files. Files are singular objects, for our purposes anyhow.

So if you move 50GB that contains 100 files, it is going to take a lot longer than moving one 50GB file.
Because the initial speed is it's "burst" or "cache" driven speed. Once the cache is full, speed will drop considerably. If you have a hard drive with a 256mb cache it's going to maintain that speed a bit longer than one with a 64mb cache.

There is nothing wrong, this is normal. You are probably moving MANY files, of various sizes including many small files. Those will take much longer to move, at much slower speeds, than a single large file. A large folder should not be confused with a large file. Folders contain many files. Files are singular objects, for our purposes anyhow.

So if you move 50GB that contains 100 files, it is going to take a lot longer than moving one 50GB file.

Solution