[SOLVED] Moving files from one internal drive to another one

Dec 28, 2020
My friend is going reinstall windows on his c drive because he is upgrading his CPU an motherboard. The problem is that he has foto's, video's and documents on that drive that he doesn't want to lose. Now the question is how can he move all those files to his d drive?
Can he just copy paste the files or would he not move everything with that?

(Sorry for my bad grammar english is not my first language)

(edit also if he installs windows again with his new motherboard, does he still have his windows 10 version or does he needs to buy it again? Because i heard that you needed to save your account or something like that.)

Solution
YES, Copy & paste the files. The go back and verify that all the copies are identical.
When he goes to reinstall windows, please make sure to unplug all other drives so that only the OS drive is the one plugged in.

Windows10 can be linked to his MS account and can be activated using his logon & password. This is a good way to transfer your license from one hardware build to another.
If he doesn't want to use MS then he should have his original Key somewhere. Sometimes its built into the motherboard bios, like with HP's & Dells; its on his Windows 10 software packaging he bought; or in his email if it was a digital purchase.

popatim

Titan
YES, Copy & paste the files. The go back and verify that all the copies are identical.
When he goes to reinstall windows, please make sure to unplug all other drives so that only the OS drive is the one plugged in.

Windows10 can be linked to his MS account and can be activated using his logon & password. This is a good way to transfer your license from one hardware build to another.
If he doesn't want to use MS then he should have his original Key somewhere. Sometimes its built into the motherboard bios, like with HP's & Dells; its on his Windows 10 software packaging he bought; or in his email if it was a digital purchase.

Reactions: Leroy4488
Solution
Dec 28, 2020

Ok thank you very much we will try via MS.