[SOLVED] Moving files in safe mode to USB flash drive onto another pc to then put back onto main pc after a reset?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
I’m at the last resort of resetting my pc. I am stuck on ‘pc needs to be repaired’. Can’t get past it. Can’t get into windows. (Not going into detail why, it’s long)

Can i go into safe mode using the advanced repair on my main pc and copy all my files and app directories (y’know, apps ive installed) that i want onto a usb flash drive (very large storage amount) and then reset the main pc and then when it’s fresh and new i can put the usb flash drive back in and put back all the files and apps? Does this work? Will i need a really large storage amount of a USB flash drive?

Solution
Basically i did a windows quality update and somehow i think it corrupted, then i think now my BCD is corrupted.

I am going to enter the recovery environment via usb flash drive.
If you can enter safe mode, you should be able uninstall updates to see if it fixes the issue. Keep in mind you will need the admin password to do anything.

You can uninstall an update from the Settings>Update & Security>Windows update. There is an option to View update history. Click open that menu and click uninstall updates. Uninstall the newest update(s) from when you started having the boot repair loop.

If that doesn't help, you can try repairing Windows boot with bootrec. Here is a guide that looks like it should help you...
there will be registry entries, system directories & files, drivers, etc related to many programs that will be missing so many of them wouldn't function.

you can attempt to reinstall the OS while keeping your files & settings, which can work.
but depending on the problem you're facing
it can also just restore any issue you may be having to the new install.
Will i need a really large storage amount of a USB flash drive?
you can check the properties of the drive or specific folders to check the size you would need.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
there will be registry entries, system directories & files, drivers, etc related to many programs that will be missing so many of them wouldn't function.

you can attempt to reinstall the OS while keeping your files & settings, which can work.
but depending on the problem you're facing
it can also just restore any issue you may be having to the new install.

you can check the properties of the drive or specific folders to check the size you would need.
i know there are ways using some tools to keep apps and files when doing a reset, but that process takes place on the actual OS, which i can’t access, so if i downloaded the tool that lets you keep apps and files when doing a reset on another pc and, if i set my main pc to boot to the usb flash with it installed on will it still give me the option of keeping apps and files? Sorry if this is confusing

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Even at that you commonly have to register your apps/programs again after a fresh install. I have lost a couple of Office keys that way, thanks MS.

Your best bet is to try to see if you can salvage just personal info, perhaps the save locations for games/apps and then do a fresh install.

I do find it odd that you would be able to access safe mode, but can't boot normally. Have you tried to roll back to a previous while in safe mode?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Even at that you commonly have to register your apps/programs again after a fresh install. I have lost a couple of Office keys that way, thanks MS.

Your best bet is to try to see if you can salvage just personal info, perhaps the save locations for games/apps and then do a fresh install.

I do find it odd that you would be able to access safe mode, but can't boot normally. Have you tried to roll back to a previous while in safe mode?

Well what i’d do to get to safe mode is use another usb flash drive with the recovery tool on it and boot into that, then access safe mode.

I have not tried to rollback, but what specific thing do i roll back in the pc? If i do this

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Huh? Admittedly am lost on this statement.
Well as i am stuck on the repair screen, and if i click anything it doesn’t go anywhere, only keeps going back to the same repair screen. (Your pc/device needs to be repaired screen). So what i figured might work is if i get a usb flash drive and go to another computer and plug it in and then install the windows recovery tool onto it, then i go to my pc and turn it On and get into BIOS and then set the boot to the usb flash drive, it’ll then boot into the recovery settings (which i cant access currently on the repair screen) to then proceed to go into safe mode and do this. I hope this makes sense, at this point i honestly am waffling

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
But if you create a recovery disk on the other computer, it's going to be a recovery disk FOR that computer, not the one you are trying to repair, correct?

Do you have a drive caddy or external enclosure that fits the drive you are trying to repair?

Getting into OS disk from another system can be sketchy and sometimes just plain not work correctly, but I think I would try that as first option.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

USAFRet

Titan
Hang on.....

You're looking at doing a fresh OS install, on this same system and drive, and then somehow bringing back your old applications?
No.

Or...
You're looking at doing an OS install (or recovery?) in a different PC, and then moving that drive+OS to this system?
Again, no.

Bite the bullet, and reinstall your applications after the fresh OS install on this system.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
But if you create a recovery disk on the other computer, it's going to be a recovery disk FOR that computer, not the one you are trying to repair, correct?

Do you have a drive caddy or external enclosure that fits the drive you are trying to repair?

Getting into OS disk from another system can be sketchy and sometimes just plain not work correctly, but I think I would try that as first option.
I have seen youtube videos of people installing media onto a usb flash drive from another computer and putting it onto another computer. So i will try this

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hang on.....

You're looking at doing a fresh OS install, on this same system and drive, and then somehow bringing back your old applications?
No.

Or...
You're looking at doing an OS install (or recovery?) in a different PC, and then moving that drive+OS to this system?
Again, no.

Bite the bullet, and reinstall your applications after the fresh OS install on this system.
Ok, this will be the last resort and i will them things you outlined. but… as i am stuck on this screen. I can’t access a way to reset my pc unless i use the usb flash drive which will have the windows recovery tool on it and i then i boot into it and then when in it i go to troubleshoot then boot into safe mode so i can actually access my OS. Then reset the pc it in safe mode. Can i reset the pc in safe mode? Is that possible by using the settings way of resetting it or downloading the program that lets you keep apps and files? I know this is all confusing but i think it’ll work. Sorry for this

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Still 100% unsure of what you're actually trying to do here.
Ok, so my pc when it boots is stuck on ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired. The only thing i can do from there is go to my BIOS. I want to get to the advanced recovery section, (when you power off your pc 3 times to get to it) but i can’t from that screen. So i’m getting a usb flash drive and on a separate computer im going to download the windows recovery tool onto it. Then take it out of the computer and put it into my own computer. Then in the boot options by spamming f12 on startup im going to boot from the usb flash drive. It’ll then boot to the recovery options where you choose your keyboard layout, then language, then you get to the troubleshooting. That’s why

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
When resetting a pc, if you choose to keep personal files, what exact files does it keep? Ones located in your ‘user’? Like pictures, videos, documents, downloads?

USAFRet

Titan
That’s why
No.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
what exactly is it that you are trying to preserve to use in the new OS install?

media files like videos, audio, images?
personal files like game saves, text documents, etc?
programs that you have installed and just don't feel like reinstalling?
Media files, but i realised that you can just select the option to keep them when you reset so

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
ideally what you should do is this:

• Reset the PC with all documents and files intact. Log into it. See what's there.
  • Offload whatever you can to a USB drive or external hard drive
  • Do a fresh install, wiping everything.
  • Restore files from the USB / external hard drive.

It's not difficult.

Reactions: Kyroix 74