[SOLVED] Moving from a Gaming PC to a 4K Video Editing PC - Upgrade or build new? $3,000 Budget

Blackboyz

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I currently have a gaming rig that I build a couple of years ago. For the last couple of months, I have transitioned in to a position where I am doing a lot of 4K video editing and rendering on my computer. With my current computer, I am experiencing issues with lagging and delay when I am editing videos in 4K using Adobe Premier Pro and Filmora X. Could you give me some advice on components I could upgrade in my current build to increase performance or if it would be better build a fresh rig.

I would also like a suggesting for an ultrawide motor for video editing.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month or December

Budget Range: $3,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 4K Video Editing/Rendering, Gaming, Streaming, Browsing Internet, Netflix

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe an ultra wide above 60hz if I get a good recommendation

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg

My Current Build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($356.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Crucial MX300 525 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $901.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 23:35 EST-0500

Solution
You have something going on with the pc. There's no reason for a 9700k and Titan X to be really lagging and delaying anything. Adobe doesn't really scale well past 8 cores and that gpu should handle anything you throw at it. 32Gb of ram is plenty.

About the only thing I see that's on the slower side would be your storage, both are somewhat dated and not really taking advantage of what the rest of the pc can do. With such large file transfers as 4k renders can deal with, I'd definitely suggest an NVMe drive, something decent like a Samsung 970Pro used as OS and use the older 850 as a scratch disk.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have something going on with the pc. There's no reason for a 9700k and Titan X to be really lagging and delaying anything. Adobe doesn't really scale well past 8 cores and that gpu should handle anything you throw at it. 32Gb of ram is plenty.

About the only thing I see that's on the slower side would be your storage, both are somewhat dated and not really taking advantage of what the rest of the pc can do. With such large file transfers as 4k renders can deal with, I'd definitely suggest an NVMe drive, something decent like a Samsung 970Pro used as OS and use the older 850 as a scratch disk.

Solution

Blackboyz

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013

I appreciate the feedback! I will dig more in to why my PC is lagging a bit when editing in Adobe...…I will also look in to grabbing that 970Pro.