[SOLVED] moving from a gtx 960 to a ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

J-mie

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
I have a GTX 960 which I believe I have had for a few years. It works really good. I have been thinking about updating but I am not sure which card to buy. I like the 300 dollar range. Would the step up from a GTX 960 to a 2060 or one of the other comparable cards be a big step up? I want to do VR and I have noticed a few jumps in animation when playing Borderlands 3. Not sure if it's just a slow CPU though. I5 3.3 I believe. I don't have anything overclocked and would probably not mess with that as I don't know what I am doing.

Solution
It works i have a b450 and 3rd series ryzen. Some sites have not been updated yet But it works
(Some may come With updated bios to supprt and some may need a bios update which might make life harder for you) If you decide to go with b450 and ryzen 3rd be sure to check That . Most cases you will see it at the box(Ready for 3rd gen) . If you insist on a ryzen CPU and dont want all this headache get a X570 board.
Here is a link to emphasize that :https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw3qlwvIzMKh92RsnTe7cuMm&ust=1570539056332845
Both AMD Ryzen processors and Intel Core processors are available in either 6 or 8 cores, depending on what price level and generation you are looking at. Another thing to consider is whether the processor has SMT/Hyperthreading, which can allow it to better handle an additional thread per core for heavily multithreaded tasks.

The Ryzen 3600 offers 6-cores and 12-threads with performance that tends to be quite close to an i7-8700 with a similar 6-core/12-thread core configuration, only with a price that's over $100 less, which is a good part of why it is often recommended. Intel's i5s offer 6-cores for a similar price, though they lack SMT, being only 6-core, 6-thread processors.

8-core processors are available from both AMD and Intel as well, though they are priced in the $330+ range for current-generation models. Again, AMD's 3700X offers SMT for 8-cores with 16-threads, while Intel's 9000-series i7s do not, offering 8-cores, but with only 8-threads. Those i7s are slightly faster per core though, and have enough cores where the lack of SMT isn't currently a significant issue for gaming. So, both the i7-9700K or the Ryzen 3700X could be considered reasonable options, though the i7 is less efficient and will require better cooling, again making it cost a fair amount more. And to get 8-cores with 16-threads on an Intel processor right now, you would need to move up to an even more expensive and power-hungry i9, which are not attractively priced in my opinion.

So, the reason you see Ryzen processors getting recommended a lot is that they currently tend to offer better value, and their inclusion of SMT may make them the better performers down the line as games become more heavily multithreaded. As far as performance in current games goes, they should all perform fairly similar in most recent games when paired with a card like a 2060.

J-mie

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
After reading everything. I think I am going to get the X570-A pro with the Ryzen 7 3700X with another 160.00 for memory brings it up to $637.00. That doesn't seem to bad. What do you guys think of that? Do you have a memory recommendation? I was looking at
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM

mostly because Amazon recommended it with the MB. I would get 4 sticks and max out hence the 160.00 for memory posted above.

ELM2721

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Your Choice is Very good . as you know you cant get your current ram stick and put it in your new setup you would have to get a new memory( like the one you mentioned for example). Since 16Gb Of ram are more than enough for gaming today . I would recommend getting the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM . go for 3000MHz speed or 2933 or something similar