[SOLVED] Moving from ATX to mITX

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 6, 2020
Hello!

I bought a computer a while ago from iBUYPOWER and while it's been a decent machine it takes up a whole lot of room. I've been considering migrating from my current ATX motherboard to a Mini ITX but am running into doubts on whether I'll be able to do this by just swapping the motherboard and case. Below are my parts list, could anyone recommend a new much smaller form factor motherboard and case that could still hold my power supply and video card?

My goal is to use this new smaller PC to still game like a champ but be able to take the PC on the go. Any other creative suggestions on making this thing more portable and take up less room are welcome!

Case: AeroCool Quartz Revo ARGB Front and Side Tempered Glass Gaming Case
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - ASUS DUAL EVO OC
Power Supply: 800 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Gold
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System

Last edited:
Solution
Yea, an ITX system would be a better option, for what you are after, with regards to space savings. You are going to be needing a new motherboard, case, PSU, and cooling, at a minimum. That 9900k is going to be difficult to keep cool, in a system the size you are hoping for, just as an FYI.
You already have a 240mm AIO in your current system. Why buy another one?

Yes, an SFX-L PSU would open up more case options. PSUs are overpriced right now, and you already own one.

You don't need to suspend the GPU inside the case. That's taken care of by the x16 slot and the rear panel.

The Raven cases don't [officially] support AIOs. And I believe they're limited to a strict dual-slot GPU. Not a 2.75 slot one like you have.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I got my sfx direct from Corsair store, added bonus 10% off for signing up. $138 shipped, for a 600w Platinum, the Gold are slightly less. Went with the Platinum for its efficiency, it runs cooler, so the fan is quieter. Plus the braided wiring is easier to deal with than the 600G flat cables

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those are really, really nice units, and Fractal does something for free that most others do not, include an sfx-atx adapter, which can be a serious bonus to those whom need it, not having to go shopping and spend another $20 for one.

Just wish ppl would all get on the same page with model designation, that Ion I believe is actually SFX-L, not standard SFX, which can make a difference in some uber small form factor cases

Reactions: tennis2

logainofhades

Titan
Those are really, really nice units, and Fractal does something for free that most others do not, include an sfx-atx adapter, which can be a serious bonus to those whom need it, not having to go shopping and spend another $20 for one.

Just wish ppl would all get on the same page with model designation, that Ion I believe is actually SFX-L, not standard SFX, which can make a difference in some uber small form factor cases

I think it is an SFX-L also, but you can only get so many watts in such a small form factor. It literally fit in the palm of my hand. lol

True SFX, 750W!
Fan noise would be a good reason to go SFX-L if you have the space though. Especially if you're drawing that much power from it.

Back on topic though. IF the OP goes with the Fractal Era (knowing the potential hurdle of the GPU), I'd recommend just trying it with the existing PSU (and AIO) first. Worst case, you need to get a different [smaller] PSU. Best case, no need to buy an overpriced PSU (due to form factor and supply shortages).

Last edited: