[SOLVED] Moving from Blower to Non-Blower

Solution
Yeah, the cpu pre-renders frames so it would be handy to have a strong cpu to handle high frame rates in busy games. Less chance maxing out cpu which can cause stutters, frame drops and possibly restrict the gpu's potential throughput. Your new system should handle workloads very well.

If haven't seen this video yet it may interest you. He's got a nice voice i liked listening to him lol. He explains well about frame pre-rendering and showing how fps can affect cpu loads.
Honestly, I don't think the TEMP difference value would be very huge, when using open air vs blower type GPUs, IMO. Give or take few degrees I suppose, but the exact temp value will also depend on the type of ATX cabinet, the airflow, as well as your room's ambient TEMP value.

Shouldn't be problematic though, imo.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree. Blower types are good for limited air flow situations but if case has no problems in this area then the hot air from open cooler type gpus shouldn't stagnant long enough to show much variance.

Doesn't really answer your question though with first hand experience albeit gives something to think about i suppose. I hope you get your comparison from someone.

I agree. Blower types are good for limited air flow situations but if case has no problems in this area then the hot air from open cooler type gpus shouldn't stagnant long enough to show much variance.

Doesn't really answer your question though with first hand experience albeit gives something to think about i suppose. I hope you get your comparison from someone.
I think i'm about to press the button on a 2070 Super... not had a non blower, I think even my 8800GTX was? maybe my 6600?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, should have no dramas then with air flow. You might even appreciate the more typical quieter operation of these cards having more fans and not needing to spin as fast. Also there is the more or less comforting feeling if one fan fails on a multi fan cooler it's not the world's end 😊

Can i ask what your system specs are and intended uses and refresh rate for a 2070s?. Im sure you know what youre doing but if i can help in anyway I'll be glad to.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, the cpu pre-renders frames so it would be handy to have a strong cpu to handle high frame rates in busy games. Less chance maxing out cpu which can cause stutters, frame drops and possibly restrict the gpu's potential throughput. Your new system should handle workloads very well.

If haven't seen this video yet it may interest you. He's got a nice voice i liked listening to him lol. He explains well about frame pre-rendering and showing how fps can affect cpu loads.

Solution
Has anyone moved from a blower card to a non-blower card, how much did case temps rise? Is it a problematic amount? I can only imagine it'd be a few degrees.

A lot depends on how much airflow you have, and how the fans are positioned, and your CPU cooler solution. Motherboard temperatures usually aren't an issue. You're worried about the GPU and CPU. And axial style coolers don't entirely blow air back into the case. There's vents on the rear bracket for a reason. So some of that hot air does get exhausted out the back of the card.

I have a side mount 140mm fan that directly blows ONTO the GPU card, so it's always getting a fresh supply. There are then two additional 120mm fans up top. So the waste heat get vented quickly. The RX580 never exceeds open air bench temps due to the fresh air supply. In some ways, this setup may be superior as an open air test bench relies somewhat on natural convection to circulate air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.