Moving from IDE to AHCI

N0Spin

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium on a new blank SATA hard drive which I had formatted using the default settings under Windows XP Disk Management.

Prior to installing Windows 7 on this PC, I disconnected my other SATA hard drives to preclude any issues during formatting/installation.

What I would like to know is whether changing the BIOS disk access mode from IDE to AHCI will impact my ability to access my old hard drives (once I reconnect them)?

Thank you.

Solution

Nothing, except maybe having to take ownership of the files/folders.

N0Spin

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Thank you for your responses.

Now provided that I get Windows 7 running on AHCI either by doing the reg. change etc, or by re-installing, what would I then need to do, if anything, to access the data on my old hard drives?

Nothing, except maybe having to take ownership of the files/folders.

Solution

N0Spin

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

That was my most significant concern.

I was trying to figure out if needed to plow through a huge amount of cleanup and archiving (several 600GB HDs full of music, video and data, etc) BEFORE I attempt to switch the system over to use AHCI, and then add these data drives back in before I serialize this Windows 7 installation and lock down my hardware config.

I was hoping to pickup an SSD on sale (as a primary boot drive), but missed my chance on Cyber-Monday so now I'll probably just wait until the Christmas Eve or post holiday sales.

Thanks again. ;)