Moving from PC to Laptop

Nov 18, 2021
Hi all! I have Intel Core I7 7700k, 32 GB DDR4 and 2 Tb SSD NVME. I need more mobility in my work and that's why I want to move my system to laptop. What should I buy cheaper then $1k to run PHPStorm with virtual machines smoothly as it was on PC?

Thank's for your suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
Most software applications have some sort of listing regarding hardware requirements.

Often in the form of minimal, recommended, and best. You do not want minimal and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

PHP Storm, JetBrains - correct?

This product and specs?

https://www.jetbrains.com/help/phpstorm/quick-start-guide-phpstorm.html#supported-platforms

From the link:

System requirements
RequirementMinimumRecommended
RAM2 GB of free RAM8 GB of total system RAM
CPUAny modern CPUMulti-core CPU. PhpStorm supports multithreading for different operations and processes making it faster the more CPU cores it can use.
Disk space2.5 GB and another 1 GB for cachesSSD drive with at least 5 GB of free space
Monitor resolution1024×7681920×1080
Operating systemOfficially released 64-bit versions of the following:
  • Microsoft Windows 8 or later
  • macOS 10.14 or later
  • Any Linux distribution that supports Gnome, KDE , or Unity DE.
Pre-release versions are not supported.
Latest 64-bit version of Windows, macOS, or Linux (for example, Debian, Ubuntu, or RHEL)
You do not need to install Java to run PhpStorm because JetBrains Runtime is bundled with the IDE (based on JRE 11).

Not sure about how much more is needed to run PHPStorm in a VM environment on a laptop.

I recommend submitting your question to JetBrain and documenting their response before buying a laptop.

[Note: Wording such as "Any modern CPU" is vague. How does JetBrain define modern? May be "modern" but the actual specs may not meet your performance requirements.]

The above specs may already be out of your budget. Especially for highly reviewed and well rated laptops.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

However there may be other thoughts and suggestions posted. I have no problem with that.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all! I have Intel Core I7 7700k, 32 GB DDR4 and 2 Tb SSD NVME. I need more mobility in my work and that's why I want to move my system to laptop. What should I buy cheaper then $1k to run PHPStorm with virtual machines smoothly as it was on PC?

Just to be clear...you're not considering moving your current desktop OS+application stack directly to the laptop?
Right?

Nov 18, 2021
Most software applications have some sort of listing regarding hardware requirements.

Often in the form of minimal, recommended, and best. You do not want minimal and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

PHP Storm, JetBrains - correct?

This product and specs?

https://www.jetbrains.com/help/phpstorm/quick-start-guide-phpstorm.html#supported-platforms

From the link:

System requirements
RequirementMinimumRecommended
RAM2 GB of free RAM8 GB of total system RAM
CPUAny modern CPUMulti-core CPU. PhpStorm supports multithreading for different operations and processes making it faster the more CPU cores it can use.
Disk space2.5 GB and another 1 GB for cachesSSD drive with at least 5 GB of free space
Monitor resolution1024×7681920×1080
Operating systemOfficially released 64-bit versions of the following:
  • Microsoft Windows 8 or later
  • macOS 10.14 or later
  • Any Linux distribution that supports Gnome, KDE , or Unity DE.
Pre-release versions are not supported.
Latest 64-bit version of Windows, macOS, or Linux (for example, Debian, Ubuntu, or RHEL)
You do not need to install Java to run PhpStorm because JetBrains Runtime is bundled with the IDE (based on JRE 11).

Not sure about how much more is needed to run PHPStorm in a VM environment on a laptop.

I recommend submitting your question to JetBrain and documenting their response before buying a laptop.

[Note: Wording such as "Any modern CPU" is vague. How does JetBrain define modern? May be "modern" but the actual specs may not meet your performance requirements.]

The above specs may already be out of your budget. Especially for highly reviewed and well rated laptops.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

However there may be other thoughts and suggestions posted. I have no problem with that.
Phpstorm will run in windows environment, the Virtualbox with vagrant virtual machine (2gb Ram, part of CPU will be used in background).

That's mean I need minimum of 12-16Gb of Ram and CPU with virtual machine support..

Ralston18

Titan
Providing I am following correctly you need 8 GB RAM (recommended) for Phpstorm and 2 GB RAMfor vagrant for a total of 10 GB. Allowing plenty of RAM margin I would want 16GB RAM in the laptop.

Phpstorm recommends 5 GB of SSD - with a 2 TB SSD then there should plenty of drive space.

Likewise Phpstorm recommends:

"Multi-core CPU. PhpStorm supports multithreading for different operations and processes making it faster the more CPU cores it can use. "

Much more specific than "any modern CPU" and if you follow that Multi-core CPU recommendation then Phpstorm cannot blame any performance problems or application problems of any sort on the laptop's "limitations".

However, not sure about what the laptop's actual cost would be with respect to your $1,000 budget.

Start by pricing laptops that meet Phpstorm's recommended requirements. Then, if and as necessary, consider potential trade-offs.

However, you may not save all that much by purchasing a 1 TB SSD versus a 2 GB SSD.

How portable does it need to be, 14" is much nicer to carry around than a 15.6" but obviously has a smaller screen. You may find it cheaper kitting out a 15.6" with 32GB RAM than a 14".