Moving from Pre-built to Custom build

Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone,

A couple years back I purchased the ASUS ROG G20CB https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-G20CB/ (1070, 1TB) because I thought it had good specs at the time and I was very new to PC gaming. However I feel as though the time has come to upgrade to a custom built PC as I'm running into performance issues and very often need to try multiple times to start my PC before I can get to Windows.

To get to my question - I am very happy sticking with a 1070 for my new build, and would much rather just reuse the GPU from my current ASUS machine. I have found the following video of someone removing a GPU from what appears to be a similar model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w3H84lmt70

However after watching the video, the GPU looks like it is modified to fit into this small machine and doesn't look like other 1070s that I've seen. Could this GPU be reused (recommended / safely) in a new custom build? Can't say that I want to shell out funds for a new graphics card.

Thanks so much for any input!

Solution
In that video it looks as though it is a typical GPU that is simply connected to a riser. If so then yes you could transfer that to a different ATX desktop system, just remove it from the riser.

But, I think you could fairly easily fix your issues with your current system. An SSD and a fresh install of Windows should bring new life to your system.
In that video it looks as though it is a typical GPU that is simply connected to a riser. If so then yes you could transfer that to a different ATX desktop system, just remove it from the riser.

But, I think you could fairly easily fix your issues with your current system. An SSD and a fresh install of Windows should bring new life to your system.

Solution
My understanding of how this kind of thing works, generally, is that a 'riser' card is used to allow the GPU to be placed in non standard ways. The riser plugs into the motherboard, the card plugs into the riser. This can be handy when you are trying to squeeze a card in a tight space. The cards themselves have normal pci-ex connectors. So you should be able to use it in another computer. Take it out and look at it. I bet that's the case with your card.

TRENDING THREADS