Moving from Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011 to Windows 10

jgciamarra

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I currently run "My Movies"/Server Client on my WHS 2011. I use this setup as a central database for my movie collections and a way to stream movies to 2 - HTPCs, 1 - xBox, 2 - iPads. I don't use my WHS for client back-ups, etc. Since "My Movies" uses Windows Media Center (WMC) and both WMC & WHS 2011 are no longer supported/strategic by Microsoft, as I move to a new Media Center solution (Kodi/Emby/Plex), I would also like to move my WHS 2011 to Windows 10.

What are the pro's & con's with using Windows 10 as a home server? Is there a way to do this where I can keep my current Shares (12 TBs on separate drives, OS on its own drive) in tact or do I have to start from scratch (hope not).

Let me know if you have questions to provide me with the best guidance.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Solution

I'd almost put Win 10 on a par with Ubuntu or any other consumer oriented OS, Linux or otherwise.
Linux has the advantage of price. Windows has the...
I'm a huge Windows 10 fan, I'm even a preview tester. But in your situation the one factor that could cause issues is the automatic Windows updates and the more-than-too-common Windows restart. I think that Windows 10 Pro allows you to have some control over this, but I can see that an automatic restart could cause havoc in your situation.

USAFRet

Titan
I use Win 10 as a home server. (this may be changing soon)
You can keep the secondary drives as they are, but you'll have to redo whatever shares you have.

You can't translate the settings directly from WHS to Win 10.
But the data on those secondary drives is no problem.

USAFRet

Titan

Either way works.
I'm strongly considering moving from a Windows based home server/HTPC to a new NAS box, with significant HTPC functionality.
Linux based.

jgciamarra

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks to all for your responses. I'm getting the sense that Windows 10 may not be my best option for a Home Server to stream my movies and TV series to my Windows 10-based HTPCs, iPads, and xBox.

I just need a Home Server solution that can stream movies and TV series to the devices I mentioned, with minimum CPU load. I may also want to open up remote access for family and some friends.

I heard Ubuntu, FreeNAS as possible suggestions for a Home Server solution that could meet my needs. Do you have additional suggestions, input/guidance?

Thanks for your continued guidance.

USAFRet

Titan

I'd almost put Win 10 on a par with Ubuntu or any other consumer oriented OS, Linux or otherwise.
Linux has the advantage of price. Windows has the advantage of familiarity.

If you're looking for a whole new box + OS, this is what I'm looking at for that role:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/model.php?II=212
QNAP TS-453A

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I've long been a user of a regular PC + a Windows OS (WinServer/Win 7/Win 10/other) for a house server+HTPC.
But the newer NAS boxes and their OS's have gotten sooo much better lately. It's almost a no brainer.

Base Linux OS (Ubuntu in that QNAP), plus the option to have something else running as a VirtualMachine. Windows or otherwise.
Instead of trying to roll your own feature set, it has all that already built in.

I will be getting that QNAP in a month or so.

TRENDING THREADS