[SOLVED] Moving game files over different drives

lapse23

Prominent
Dec 31, 2019
If i move a game file from the original Program Files folder on my main OS drive into a blank drive, will it cause any issues? Can I still click on the original shortcut to the game and expect it to open properly? Are there any steps necessary to properly transfer game files and really, any executable file from drive to drive?

Solution
For Steam games, this:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

-----------------------------
I believe Origin has a similar function.

For any standalone game, no. They would need to be Uninstalled and reinstalled on the desired drive.
If i move a game file from the original Program Files folder on my main OS drive into a blank drive, will it cause any issues? Can I still click on the original shortcut to the game and expect it to open properly? Are there any steps necessary to properly transfer game files and really, any executable file from drive to drive?
With most programs/games with an axtual installation (as opposed to just writing files) they wouldn't work if moved. Only way is to install them at other location. Steam has a way to chenage location for their games though.

Reactions: lapse23

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games, this:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

-----------------------------
I believe Origin has a similar function.

For any standalone game, no. They would need to be Uninstalled and reinstalled on the desired drive.

Reactions: lapse23
Solution