Moving google cache to ram disk, did it work?

007latif

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hello,

i tried to move google cache to ram disk, i m not sure it's working properly because the cache file in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache has the same number of files than the cache folder in the Ram disk

This is what i did:

I cut the cache file in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache and paste it under my ram disk E:\Goo

Then i used this in cmd: mklink /J "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\cache " "E:\Goo\Cache"

The cache file in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache Isnt supposed to be empty and not having any new stuff going in to avoid new writting in the ssd? Instead of that they are the same, when there is new stuff in ramdisk, it's the same in the basic cache file

http://www.casimages.com/i/170116072635770163.jpg.html
http://www.casimages.com/i/170116072634343246.jpg.html

Any idea?

Solution
I... I don't believe you have actually told chrome to use the disk though, you're just telling windows to make a copy of a location, no?

Right click the chrome logo, go to properties, on shortcut go to target. Type something like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=E:\Goo\cache

THAT will tell chrome to use your Ramdisk as a cache.

USAFRet

Titan
"and not having any new stuff going in to avoid new writting in the ssd?"

You're starting from the wrong premise.
There is no reason to move that cache to a ramdisk (or anywhere else), in an effort to limit write cycles on the SSD.

Don't worry about wearing out your SSD. That has no bearing on any consumer grade SSD sold this decade.

And with the mklink, you're semi fooling the OS into thinking it is still in its default location. So that is what it will report.

Just set it back to normal and leave it be.

I... I don't believe you have actually told chrome to use the disk though, you're just telling windows to make a copy of a location, no?

Right click the chrome logo, go to properties, on shortcut go to target. Type something like
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=E:\Goo\cache

THAT will tell chrome to use your Ramdisk as a cache.

Solution

007latif

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Hello, thanks for the quick answer, so what i did is actualy working or not? the user 'greens' doesn't seem convinced.
Anyway, how would i set it back to normal?

USAFRet

Titan

I do not think what you did actually did anything.

Undo that mklink thing.
Check the chrome settings, and then see what it is set at.