Moving hard drive with xp into another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

srk_in

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I want to shift a hard disk with OS, into another CPU (From Intel to VIA)

Will it work in the new CPU box? As per guidelines from one forum, I deleted the Nvidia AGP drivers, other services etc.
But still it comes up only upto ntfs.sys and the display goes off, and PC reboots
Am i wasting my time on this without formatting, or can it work.
Pl help

Solution
A repair should do the job, but keep in mind if this is temporary then the repair option is a good one, whereas if you plan to stay on the box for a long period, best thing to do is a clean setup.

Reinstall - you'd be finished by now !

Kevish

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
A repair should do the job, but keep in mind if this is temporary then the repair option is a good one, whereas if you plan to stay on the box for a long period, best thing to do is a clean setup.

Solution

srk_in

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks Kevish

I was able to complete the job. Not with the repair option at first instance (which goes into DOS prompt). I got stuck up here, trying for all the options for a long long time. But continue with the setup, and when the system identifies that there is already existing windows installed, it prompts for option to repair the same. Say Yes, and the rest is happy going. Though it deletes and then adds lots of system files, the existing files and applications are intact...100% as was working in the previous system. I am very happy to find every thing intact, as i have lot of applications, for which i do not have the setup files to reinstall. So i was ready to take trouble in finding an option to move the same HDD as it is. It was worth spending the time in finding a solution and not giving up! (or rather wasting time as some people say)

Status
Not open for further replies.