Question Moving Hard drives Internationally

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I am in the process of relocating (from the Philippines to Poland). The chassis which is an NZXT Phantom 530 will be repacked in its original packaging and will be sent via movers and packers to its new destination. I intend to leave the internal contents in the chassis (the motherboard, CPU, Intel cooler, PSU, M.2 SSD, and optical drive inside the chassis while shipping). I assume this is safe?

My question is about the hard drives?
I doubt it is safe to leave them in the chassis due to their poor shock resistance. So I will remove them and take them separately. The next question is whether I should pack them in my cabin luggage and thus carry it by hand, or check it in with my clothes. In the case of the latter, I will cushion it amongst clothes.

Wanted to get the thoughts of the group on what's best suited?

In the past I have bought hard drives on Amazon in the US, and taken them with me to other countries. They were in the Amazon packaging and then nestled among my clothes in the check-in luggage. So that has worked. Though that was usually 1 or 2 drives at the max.

My fear with carrying them in the cabin luggage is that I have read that some airport-security-checks require for electronics to be powered on. Being internal drives I won't be able to do this. I don't want to risk having to leave these drives in some country due to airport security requirements.

Looking for suggestions and recommendations please? Thanks.

I am in the process of relocating (from the Philippines to Poland). The chassis which is an NZXT Phantom 530 will be repacked in its original packaging and will be sent via movers and packers to its new destination. I intend to leave the internal contents in the chassis (the motherboard, CPU, Intel cooler, PSU, M.2 SSD, and optical drive inside the chassis while shipping). I assume this is safe?

My question is about the hard drives?
I doubt it is safe to leave them in the chassis due to their poor shock resistance. So I will remove them and take them separately. The next question is whether I should pack them in my cabin luggage and thus carry it by hand, or check it in with my clothes. In the case of the latter, I will cushion it amongst clothes.

Wanted to get the thoughts of the group on what's best suited?

In the past I have bought hard drives on Amazon in the US, and taken them with me to other countries. They were in the Amazon packaging and then nestled among my clothes in the check-in luggage. So that has worked. Though that was usually 1 or 2 drives at the max.

My fear with carrying them in the cabin luggage is that I have read that some airport-security-checks require for electronics to be powered on. Being internal drives I won't be able to do this. I don't want to risk having to leave these drives in some country due to airport security requirements.

Looking for suggestions and recommendations please? Thanks.
HDDs when not powered and turning can take incredible amount of G-s, 90G and up. They are vulnerable to shocks only while running and heads not parked. They'll be quite safe in the case.

Reactions: virtualdanger
Jan 18, 2021
The drives should be safe in anti-static bags and then lots of bubble wrap - then try and wedge is securely as you can in your luggage. Hand luggage may be safest but with enough padding it should be fine in checked luggage.

As for your tower, it should be safe enough. With a big aftermarket cooler, you'd probably want to take it off to protect the motherboard but you should be safe enough with the intel stock cooler.

Reactions: virtualdanger

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
HDDs when not powered and turning can take incredible amount of G-s, 90G and up. They are vulnerable to shocks only while running and heads not parked. They'll be quite safe in the case.

This is great information; thank you for pointing it out. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense. I feel a lot more comfortable now with the whole transit plan.

The drives should be safe in anti-static bags and then lots of bubble wrap - then try and wedge is securely as you can in your luggage. Hand luggage may be safest but with enough padding it should be fine in checked luggage.

As for your tower, it should be safe enough. With a big aftermarket cooler, you'd probably want to take it off to protect the motherboard but you should be safe enough with the intel stock cooler.

Yep, that's likely what I will do. Wrap them and pack them between clothes. Then check them in.
Thanks for confirming, that was my thought as well, no beefy aftermarket cooler, and no heavy GPU either.

If that were the case, one wonders how PC's are shipped all over the planet, every day, with hard drives already installed.
These things are not as fragile as people think.

That's an awesome point; thank you for stating it. I feel a lot more comfortable now with the whole transit plan.

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
They are probably safer mounted securely in the case, rather than you carrying them around.

Thanks for that. I'm certainly not gonna carry it by hand. The options are to leave it in the chassis, or pack it with bubble wrap and cushion it amongst my clothes. Then check-in that bag at the airport. (The latter I have tested, thus my comfort with it). But I am open to leaving it in the chassis if that is still better for the drives.

I'm sharing pictures of my case (the NZXT Phantom 530). Both with the unmounted drive tray layout, as well as post mounting. The drives are not screwed in, but they are mounted on the black plastic trays, which are slotted into the HDD cage. The locks on the plastic trays are tiny magnetic clips. (The screwless design while good for easy removal, I'm not sure if it's ideal for long-haul transit). I do plan to tell the freight company it's fragile though, so hopefully, it's handled with more care.

Based on this case design, do you think it's still better in the case, especially given that there are no screws holding the HDD's in place?

Last edited: