Question Moving HDD To new PC with OS Installed

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
So I recently built a new PC, all new components and while I have the money to buy a new HDD I dont really want to lose all the Save Data, Games, Programs etc. that are on this HDD.
  • So I was wondering if I could just take the HDD out of this computer, and transfer everything with the OS or activate a new OS (I do have a spare Windows Key somewhere that I can use) Is this possible?
  • Or since its new parts I need to just figure out how to back the files, wipe it, and install the new system.
  • Or lastly get a new HDD, and fresh install on that one and delete the old OS off the one i currently use?

As a note, this system is a Pre-built so windows was already on it, like i said before I have a windows 10 pro key available

Activation is the trivial part of the problem, the bigger part of the problem is that windows has all of the drivers etc. for your hardware, and there can be unintended consequences from simply not booting, through to random elements not working well/intermittently. A reinstall is always advised. There are instructions available for applying your key to an MS account and then connecting your new installation to the same account so that the license can be transferred,

USAFRet

Titan
Full wipe and install when the drive is in the new system.

USAFRet

Titan
hy.. you can use easus data partition, it can fix all your problem moving or migrate your os into new hardware ( new HDD or SSd) with all your hardware installation and acticvation ..
No...a clone/migration tool does NOT magically make it work.

Between drives in the same system? No problem.
But moving a clone to a whole new system is no different than moving the original physical drive.

No...a clone/migration tool does NOT magically make it work.

Between drives in the same system? No problem.
But moving a clone to a whole new system is no different than moving the original physical drive.
I've not checked but it's not outside of the realms of possibility for Easus to have created the software to strip out all of the driver references whilst moving the installation, it'd just be a series of reg mods a bit like sysprep. It would leave some junk drivers dotted all over the place but nothing would be talking to them. Wouldn't be convinced of the reliability of it though.

Clean install would be better.