Moving into a new house.

MaxB94

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Putting TL;DR here: Moving house, sky engineer wants to charge me £130 to move the phone line from downstairs to upstairs so i can have router in my bedroom, will a long ADSL cable work and would I lose signal (strength in broadband due to cable being long).

For those who like reading below, full summary:

Basically, moving into a new house and the phone point for where the router would sit is by the front door, my bedroom is exactly above the front door (where the windows are) and a SKY engineer has quoted me that if I wanted to move the phone point from downstairs into my (soon to be) bedroom, it'll cost me £130 for the services.

I do and don't care to pay the £130, I care because it's £130... and I don't because it'll save a lot of hassle and I won't have to trace ethernet cables around the house. I was also thinking of just measuring out the distance from down to upstairs and buying a massive ADSL cable and run it from the phone point downstairs under the carpet into my room and place the router on my desk or something.

Basically what I was wondering is, over the length of cable will I lose broadband speed/any ways around avoiding this if it is the case.

P.S. I'm a noob when it comes to Networking etc; PC's I know what I'm doing, networking = clueless.

MaxB94

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

So a long ASDL cable is the way to go? I wanna use multiple ethernet cables once the router is in my bedroom for my PC / consoles.

TRENDING THREADS