Moving M.2 windows installation drive to different socket same computer.

Apr 27, 2018
Hello dears, I installed windows on a M.2 that is really close to the GPU that makes it really hot (about 62ºC). I have the Asus X299 prime deluxe which has got another position for the M.2 just in front of the gpu fans.

My question is: If I change the M.2 to the other M.2 slot, will windows run with no issue or should I reinstall it again?

Thanks in advance, it was my very first pc build with all 2nd hand pieces and surprised that had no issue till now.
Ew37cK.jpg

Solution

Your Crucial MX drive WILL NOT WORK in the other m.2 port.
Ever. There is no way to make it work.
In that motherboard, only one of the m.2 ports will support a SATA based m.2 drive.

People get too hung up on the "m.2" designation...

USAFRet

Titan
What specific m.2 drive do you have?

The two m.2 ports are not both capable of m.2 SATA drives.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE/specifications/
x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

Apr 27, 2018
wohuu didnt know about that :O thanks for that point USAFret :)

I placed one Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) on the M.2 slot that supports SATA and PCIE.

Can somebody easily elaborate what is necessary to take into consideration about M.2 and SATA and Windows Installation Drives?

What happens if I just move the M.2 with the windows installation to the other M.2 slot? Is it a mistake?

Then, can I move to the other non-sata slot and reinstall windows 10? Would it work?

Thanks for the support.

USAFRet

Titan

Your Crucial MX drive WILL NOT WORK in the other m.2 port.
Ever. There is no way to make it work.
In that motherboard, only one of the m.2 ports will support a SATA based m.2 drive.

People get too hung up on the "m.2" designation, and not realize that "m.2" is simply the physical connection.
An m.2 drive can be either SATA based (as your Crucial), or NVMe/PCIe.
NVMe drives are "faster".
Your Crucial runs at exactly the same speed as a regular Crucial MX300 2.5" SATA III drive.
Just in a different package.

Not all motherboards support both types in all of the available ports.

Solution
Apr 27, 2018

Thanks USAFret for the elaborated answer, I was googling but know everything is clear.