Moving Motherboard with CPU and stock cooler

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I am a snowbird and recently purchase a new M/B Asus H170 along with an i7 6700 cpu using a stock cooler and 2x8GB ram. I am here less than six months a year and would like to move these parts back and forth between my other home rather than purchase another setup.

Would it be reasonable to just remove the motherboard and leave the CPU etc intact or should I dismantle the CPU, cooler etc.

I have moved my GPU and hard-drives for the last 5 years. I have the original box & packing for the motherboard.

I am flying back and would pack the items in a suitcase.

Thanks for your time

Solution
Ah, OK, I carried few completely asembled desktop computers from Toronto to Europe few times and just packed them in original box for case, everything arrived in one piece and working.
With OEM cooler MB will probably fit in the MB box, it's not heavy so it shouldn't damage anything. Same goes for RAM. I used to stick parts in their packaging or bare parts (in the anti static bag) in the middle of suitcase with clothes, very safe there.

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks and I agree but I won't have room for the tower. I used to move my whole pc back and forth until I became ill a few years ago and went home on a lear jet. No room to take anything so I built another pc up north. I am trying to keep current and keep the costs down now. I have a great system if can move these parts.

Thanks
EJ

Ah, OK, I carried few completely asembled desktop computers from Toronto to Europe few times and just packed them in original box for case, everything arrived in one piece and working.
With OEM cooler MB will probably fit in the MB box, it's not heavy so it shouldn't damage anything. Same goes for RAM. I used to stick parts in their packaging or bare parts (in the anti static bag) in the middle of suitcase with clothes, very safe there.

Solution

ej13

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Sorry for the delay and thanks again for your info.

Year 9 in the valley of the sun = Phoenix, Az Great golf, hiking etc. Sure beats the NWT of my youth.