Question Moving, must consolidate PC

nkscheller

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
I am in kind of a pickle at the moment on a decision here. Let me lay it out:

I am about to graduate college and I will likely either move away for a job or move back home for a bit before I get a job/move in with a friend. I currently have a Lenovo y700 (bought in 2016) that I use for a mobile workstation and connect a docking station to it to add 2 more displays, keyboard, mouse, and Ethernet. I also have a gaming computer (built in 2017, slightly upgraded since then) that I connect to a display using display port and the docking station for the keyboard, mouse and Ethernet (I'm a casual gamer, latency is present but not bad).

Wherever I move to, I will likely have to shrink my computer size to one to save space. If I get a laptop, I would likely have a desk with a separate monitor and will move it around wherever I live and use it for gaming and other casual things. If I upgrade or build a new gaming computer, it will only sit at my desk for gaming and things, but would like to be small like an ITX or small Micro ATX computer.

What should I go for? Open to ideas, builds, and concepts to help my decision. Thank you!

Last edited:
It really depends on what usage the computer will see. If a laptop can handle your workload, and if you want the portability; then it is a viable option for you.

If you require heavier computing power then desktop components are the only real choice. It can then be decided how to proceed with size and components. However, this does bring up the question of what your current PC specs are.

nkscheller

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
It really depends on what usage the computer will see. If a laptop can handle your workload, and if you want the portability; then it is a viable option for you.

If you require heavier computing power then desktop components are the only real choice. It can then be decided how to proceed with size and components. However, this does bring up the question of what your current PC specs are.
I usually never move my Lenovo y700 around because its 5+ pounds, and I didn't want to lug around a brink around campus. I guess my thought is that a mobile CPU and GPU in a gaming laptop would be too low powered to what I am used to in my desktop gaming computer that it would lessen my gaming experience.