Moving my current HDD to a new system

xWin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014
Hi everyone!

So I got a good HDD in my current build, but I plan to build a completely new gaming rig. Honestly I don't want to have to pay for Windows 8.1 again..... so will Windows work if I carry over this current hard drive or do I HAVE to buy windows 8/10 again? On a side note I am buying an SSD for sure, but like I said I just don't want to buy windows again, otherwise there goes my SSD money :lol:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Solution
Moving a HDD from one PC to another will totally not work to get around a new copy of Windows.

With a new motherboard, to Microsoft it is a new PC, and hence you need a new copy of Windows with a new license key.
if you search the forums here at toms you will find a crapload of threads that ask the very same question,and,incidentally,get the same answer.since we dont know if you have an oem or retail licence we cant say if you can use your licence key to activate a clean install.my experience with this is try it.the worst that can happen is you will have to do a telephone activation.if they say no,well nothing ventured nothing gained.

xWin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2014

Alright thanks.

My bad for the Repost man. It is OEM so I guess I will be purchasing windows again.